Friday, June 5, 2009

Popcorn Bowl Cupcakes

LOOK at this idea Chandy found for Ryan's birthday party!!! Thank you to the Cake Queen for leading this amateur party horse to water.
(This photo is NOT mine!  I can't find who to credit)
I've spent several hours of my spare time turning these little cups...
Into these striped "popcorn buckets"...
I started my coloring project while watching t.v. the other night, but after some distracted marker slip-ups and a hand cramp, I took a different approach. Any time the kids sat down to color or I was waiting for them to finish breakfast or I had a spare 10 minutes of downtime, I'd pick up the marker and color a few cups. It helped pass the time yesterday when my grandmother called with her alphabetical list of "approved" baby boy name suggestions: "Aaron, Adam, Andrew, Anthony..." That was a long phone call; I got lots of cups colored!
After several moms scared me last night into doing a prototype of this labor-intensive cupcake, I made up a sample today.
I colored some mini-marshmallows with yellow food coloring (in a Ziplock bag), which I likely won't do for the party. The popcorn looked like cheddar-corn. I think white popcorn on top of white frosting will be fine. Plus my fingers won't turn yellow - BONUS!
I cut a criss-cross shape into the marshmallows (this will take a while for 48 cupcakes - enough for parents, too) but not completely through to the other side. Then I stuck the un-cut side into the frosting. Don't they flower out beautifully, just like a popcorn kernal?

Because I didn't want to make a whole batch of cupcakes for this one sample party cupcake, I cheated by frosting a Rise and Shine muffin. (that's the darkness you see peeking out from under the frosting!)
How cute will these be at Ryan's Carnival party in a couple of weeks!??!?

15 comments:

Denise C. said...

Very cool!

Tiffany said...

You do know that you are a genius~ You seriously BLOW MY MIND sometimes ~ ok more than sometimes! You are the coolest mom ever~ LOVE LOVE LOVE IT! (and I can't wait to eat one too...YUMMY)

Ashley @ The Happy Little Home said...

OH MY GOODNESS! Katie those are the cutest things ever! I also have to commend you on your coloring :)
Way to stay in the lines!

TeriLynneU said...

Oh wow! These are adorable!! What a great mom you are!!

Shauna Okongo said...

Oh my goodness!! Those are so cute! I am thoroughly impressed by your patience to create those cupcakes!

HeathahLee said...

That is so cute! I bet your hands ARE cramped! : )

Check out my blog tomorrow! (Saturday) ANOTHER giveaway! Woo hoo! : )

Nikki said...

These are going to be awesome!

Katie Porter said...

Katie! Those are too fun! Oh how I wish we lived there in AZ with you to see the festivities unfold! I can't wait for LOTS of photos!

FishMama said...

VERY Cute! I remember that slaving over a bday party. Oh what we'll do for our kiddos....

Steph (My Country Haven) said...

What a cute idea!

Hoosier Homemade said...

Great idea! Love it! Thanks for sharing!
~Liz

A Frugal Friend said...

Oh my goodness........I think you are too awesome! My little one has a bday coming up and now I think I might try (TRY) a fun cake. Oh boy...this could be interesting. Very very cute!

Rebecca said...

At the risk of further inflating an already stroked ego, I'll go ahead and add my accolades. Since I don't know you, I won't ever realize the damage that I may have done:

You are creative and industrious and neat-o! This is a beautiful project, and I am astounded that after doing it for the blog demonstration, you intend to do it AGAIN for the carnival party!

jolie said...

So cute! I hope the party is fun for the kids and rewarding for you!

Anonymous said...

Amazing masterpeice, i'm having a sleepover party so it's perfect!

Related Posts with Thumbnails