I'm going to try this No-Rise Pizza Crust recipe this week to make my quick and easy Chicken Pesto Pizza. I've included my shortcuts below.
Chicken Pesto Pizza
1 package prepared pizza dough (or your favorite recipe)*
3/4 cup prepared pesto**
1 cup chopped, cooked chicken***
2 cups mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
Preheat oven to 425. Roll pizza dough onto a pizza pan or baking stone. Evenly spread pesto across the dough, leaving 1/2 inch at the edge for the crust. Sprinkle chopped chicken and top with cheeses. Bake 10-12 minutes or until cheese is brown and crust is crispy.
SHORTCUTS:
* When I'm short on time, I love Trader Joe's "Almost Whole Wheat" pizza dough - it's inexpensive and freezes well. Just stick it in the fridge a couple hours before dinnertime.
**Either use the recipe below or use your favorite prepared pesto...Costco has a great, large size of pesto at a decent price. I use it in pastas, on Panini and this pizza. I love pesto!
***I always have Mike throw extra chicken breasts on the grill when he cooks. I chop them up, freeze them in baggies and always have them ready to go. You can even put the cooked chicken on this pizza when it's still frozen - it heats up in the oven.
My favorite Pesto Recipe
1/4 cup pine nuts
1 cup basil (or 20-25 leaves)
1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley
1/2 lemon, zested
1 clove garlic
1/2 cup grated Parmesan
salt and pepper
1/3-1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil (depending on the consistency you like, runny vs. thick)
Toast pine nuts in a small frying pan until golden brown, then cool. Place nuts, basil, parsley, lemon zest, garlic, Parmesan and a little salt and pepper in a food processor. Turn the processor on and stream in the extra-virgin olive oil until thick sauce forms.












3 comments:
yummy! I hope you enjoy the pizza crust.
I can't wait to have a grill -- making chicken breasts ahead of time and keeping them in the freezer has to be so handy (and tasty)!
I'm adding this post to ask people to respond to my prior post using this one, because I hadn't noticed the "Email follow-up comments to ...", to me, checkbox and will now check it.
What happened to my prior post? The second one, which is the one that presently appears in the page for the recipe, while the first post I submitted doesn't, well, it's disappeared. The following is what I had posted or submitted and which seemed to have been posted.
Pesto recipe:
For the pesto recipe, I assume that we can still make a sufficient pesto when excluding the pine nuts, but don't know what the difference would be in terms of texture, f.e.
I'm allergic to pine nuts and (or but) the rest of your recipe looks very good.
There are few things I'm allergic to in terms of foods, but pine nuts and soy are definitely two that I'm very allergic to. Soy causes gout for me, as it did for my father. Eggs are a food that I can consume in moderation and most people wouldn't consider it moderation, for I can eat two full eggs for any particular meal without a problem. I can also eat two eggs for breakfast and then have a piece of quiche for evening dinner. But if I start eating three eggs in a given meal, usually breakfast, then it doesn't take more than a day or two before I develop "elephant feet syndrome"; the feet swelling quite hugely. No pain at all; just swelling that was unnoticeable, until I tried to put on some footwear. :)
It's the albumen that is allergenic, according to WHFoods.com, a very good food, nutrient, ... resource. And wanting to make an omelet, I checked a recipe for it at WHFoods a few days ago. The recipe calls for two full eggs and the white/albumen of two other eggs, so I clearly shouldn't follow that recipe.
Maybe boiling a couple of teaspoons of flax seeds or ground flax seeds would be a good substitute for the albument of the two additional eggs though; come to think of it.
This egg problem is off-topic, but perhaps stating it in this post will lead to some useful feedback.
Post a Comment