I can't wait to tell you about the new "5 minute clean up" routine in our house. Last week, my kids went over to play at a friend's house and upon pick-up, the place was wrecked with toys. I offered to have my kids help tidy up before we left and her response surprised me: "No worries...we do 5 minute clean ups, so things will be picked up before dinnertime."
People. She had a total of 8 kids in her home that day and she didn't need help putting the house back together? I was intrigued.
The 5 minute clean up is exactly what it sounds like: race around putting things back together, you can even set a timer if you want, and in 5 minutes, it's over. When the kids come to expect it, there's no whining, no resistance, no drama.
When I think about Ryan's class last year and his Sunday school classes where we've been helping this summer, the kids all pitch in when it's a race against the clock. So I've been trying it in our home and it's been working!!!
But I don't suggest that you stop there. YOU try this for yourself. When the counters are over cluttered and it's time to make dinner, set the timer and put away as much as possible in 5 minutes. If your husband always complains about the house being a pit when he returns home from work, set the timer and work like a madman to pick up as much as possible just before you expect him to walk through the door. If there's a task you've been dreading, set the timer and just start working. Chances are, you'll be motivated to continue when the timer goes off and if not, at least you've gotten part of the job done!
Sunday night, I watched Ryan's new Finding Nemo movie with the kids. The house was put back together after the party Saturday, but had since been trashed with new birthday gifts and their remains. Ryan got FOUR dress up sets, complete with teeny tiny accessories like badges, glasses, hats and coins...they were strung throughout every room in the house. Not to mention I'd given myself permission to let the kitchen and laundry go all weekend, so those were piled high.
Out of no where, I remembered that Monday was the day that our builder was sending a cleaning crew to deep clean our house (now that the construction is finally over). If you've ever had someone professionally clean your home, you know that you kind of have to "clean for the cleaning people." Not clean, so much, but at least put things away and clear surfaces so they CAN dust and vacuum and, well...clean.
As soon as the movie was over, the kids and I did a HUGE 5 minute clean. It lasted closer to 10-15 minutes, but we moved so fast that everything was put away in it's proper place (including all of the birthday gifts that needed new homes) in a remarkably short period of time. I praised the kids like crazy for working so well together without complaining (because I was still a little surprised) and we went swimming. And the house was ready for the cleaners in the morning.
Use this tip with your kids, use it for yourself, just use it. You'll be amazed how much you can get done in 5 minutes!













1 comment:
Kiddo LOVES competition, so I could set it for 5 minutes and see who can get the most put up...him or me? : ) Love it!
Post a Comment