No more $30 pair of these-never-fit-me-right jeans from Old Navy ever again. My Buckle jeans fit the same before and after washing and they are the softest, softest denim ever. And I am complimented by complete strangers, not to mention that everyone I know tells me how skinny I look in them. SO worth the $100!!! And if you can't find a style that works perfectly with your body type, Buckle will even alter them for free. How great is that? I don't spend much money on clothes anymore, so I love that I have ONE item that makes me feel this good. Even talking about them makes me happy!!!
On to the skirt. I am what some might call "fashion challenged." Ever since I was pregnant with Ryan, I discovered just how FEW clothes I need. When I worked, I had work clothes, casual clothes, business casual clothes, fun dresses and dress up clothes for parties and showers and church...but when I had to spend money on 2 seasons of maternity clothes, I found myself with 7 shirts and 2 pair of shorts and I was fine. I had my Monday outfit, my Tuesday outfit...you get the idea. And no one knew but me. Mike didn't even catch on.
Even now I find that I have, again, 2 pair of shorts that I alternate between (one cute and one comfy) and my jeans. I won't go on about the jeans again, I promise. But I am starting to notice the other SAHM that pick their kids up from VBS and camp are cute and sassy. They're wearing a tank and flip flops just like me...but instead of shorts, they're in fun little peasant skirts. Hmmm...I decided I wanted a fun peasant skirt.
The first store I went into had a good selection...until I tried them on. When there's too much poofy-ness, a peasant skirt can quickly turn into a hoe-down, square dancing skirt. Not my style. Store #2 (where I also had some money leftover on a store credit from Christmas '06!) had a 75% off rack with a cute little white skirt. Once I tried it on, I looked like I was trying to be 12 (I didn't realize I was in the Juniors section) but I bought it anyway, because it was $6 - or free with my credit.
Once I bought my jeans and had found a white skirt, I still had 45 minutes to kill until it was time to pick up Ryan. So Kaylin and I strolled the mall together. I got her feet measured at Stride Rite (she jumped from a size 4 a few months ago to a 5.5W on one foot and almost a 6W on the other), we went on the elevator a couple of times, she decided to walk and we practiced having her hold one side of the stroller so she didn't wander off, we gazed longingly at the gumball machines, typical time-wasters.
There were a few things I observed today at the mall:
- Even later in the morning, there are an unusual number of mall-speed-walkers.
- And lots of families shopping together...don't these people have jobs?
- Everyone is having a "huge" sale. Maybe because the economy is bad, maybe they're getting ready to get the new season's stuff in, who knows. But if you need clothes or shoes, now's the time. Seriously, go now...everything's on clearance.
- There are already long sleeved shirts on display. I realize in some northern parts of the world, it might start getting chilly in a month or two, but in Phoenix, we will be holding strong to our 100+ degree temps well into October. How 'bout they keep out some summer clothes for us a little while longer?
- And is it 1977 or are we just coming full circle with the retro prints again? Cute styles, bad patterns people. I don't care how fashion challenged I am, I know ugly when I see it.
- The poor people at Russell Stovers and See's must be bored. Not many frivolous chocolate purchases going on in this economy. I watched as a 1989-banged gal's face lit up when a customer walked up to the counter. Like she hadn't had anything to do ALL day. That poor store.
- Do people really purchase stuff from Spencer's anymore? Have they always been so obsessed with skulls?
- Babies getting their ears pierced at the center kiosk can be heard screaming many, many stores away. Kaylin - "Mommy...baby sad. Baby sad, Mommy!" Again and again.
I can't believe how much I used to love the mall. Maybe because I spend so little on myself these days and most of what's there are wants, not needs. Except my jeans. I love my jeans...












1 comment:
Girl! You crack me UP!! I always wonder about those stores that sell the Kachina dolls and the silver jewelry and the howling turquoise coyote statues. How the heck do they stay in business?
Post a Comment