Wednesday, July 16, 2008

I'm not above hand-me-downs

I've always been a little scared to get started buying little girl clothes. When I go into the girls department of any store, the level of cuteness is through the roof! There are significantly more options for girls than there are for boys. Thankfully, from day 1, we've dressed Kaylin with gifts and hand-me-downs. I have purchased very little for our princess and I feel so blessed to have been given so many "previously loved" items from friends. I also recently purchased a ton of clothes for $1 each from another friend. We've been well taken care of!

The gap in age between Kaylin and our hand-me-down regulars is starting to get closer, so the hand-me-downs have been fewer and farther between. All of a sudden, Kaylin's feet have grown a ton, and she complains that the 3 pair of size 5 shoes I bought at the beginning of the summer "hurt." (*sigh*) But God is good! Just about the time I was realizing that she is down to ONE pair of shoes that fit well, I was sent a group email about a friend getting rid of all of her kids clothes and baby stuff. We received a huge storage bin full of 2T-4T clothes and another bin full of shoes. And when I say, "shoes" - I really mean SHOES! Check this out...
I spent about an hour separating out the shoes into sizes, so on the far left are size 3 shoes (that I'll pass on to someone else), then size 5 (some actually still fit Kaylin), 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11. There were even a few boys shoes tossed in there, one that fit Ryan perfectly.

I bagged up each size and put them with the larger sizes of clothes. This friend has 2 girls, so some of these shoes are VERY loved on and worn, but I really don't care about that. I hate sending the kids to play outside in new shoes...I'm so much more relaxed when the clothes aren't pristine!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glory day! My kids would still be playing shoe store with all of the shoes.

How great for you! I'm sure your princess is loving the "new" footwear. That's fantastic! My little girl has smaller feet than all of her friends, so we are often given hand me down shoes. They are a blessing. -- Brandi

Carry Grace said...

What a blessing!

ChupieandJ'smama (Janeen) said...

I LOVE hand me downs! Look at all those shoes. That's awesome! And thanks for the tip on the blueberries :)

Raquel said...

wow that is a ton of shoes!!! i love hand me downs too, we dont get very many though i have the oldest kids of mos of my friends so i am the one passing down usually which is a blessing too

Jenn @ Frugal Upstate said...

That really is great! I love when I find nice shoes for the kiddos at thrift stores or garage sales. They just go through them so fast I hate spending $15 a pair on them!

Related Posts with Thumbnails