Tuesday, January 20, 2009

How I get it ALL done

Last week, I sat down and put together a cleaning schedule. I want to tackle #2 on my list of 101 Goals...soon. It popped into my head second out of 101 other goals for a good reason: cleaning is my enemy. (not a great attitude when hoping to tackle the problem, is it?) I love having a clean house, I just hate being the one to clean it.

While coming up with the daily cleaning to-do list, I realized that when Mike returns to work tomorrow, I'll need to come up with a whole new daily routine for myself and the kids. Completely different from anything I've known, considering the fact that since the day Kaylin was born, Mike's worked 5 minutes from home. I no longer need to plan around coming home to meet Daddy for lunch or rushing home by 4:30 every day to start dinner. There may even be days that he doesn't come home in time for dinner becuase he'll go to the gym on the way home from work. The down-side is that he won't be around as much anymore, but the up-side is that I'll have a little more time to get my own stuff done. (always trying to see the positive!) We'll go from eating 21 meals a week together *literally* to around 8-10 if you count weekends.

SO...since I'm often asked questions like, "How do you get so much done?" or most recently "Do you ever sleep?" I thought I'd share my new routine. I should add that I've come to realize that (unless I'm in front of the computer) I don't sit down much. There's always something to do. Dishes, picking up toys, putting away coats and shoes, sweeping crumbs from the last meal...it's never-ending. And now that the kids are old enough to enjoy playing together, I can sneak in chores throughout the day and spend naptime checking emails, blogging, scrapbooking or truly having downtime.

I love routines and don't mind at all if my days are too similar. I'm boring that way. (items that are bolded below are things I'm working on for my 101 Goals list) I am also a natural procrastinator, so I keep with the philosophy of getting things done ASAP. Otherwise, they sit on my to-do list for days and weeks. In fact, Simple Mom just wrote about Doing the Worst Thing First to get it out of the way so the rest of your day you can be free to enjoy yourself, guilt-free. It's a great philosophy and since I'm going to start getting up BEFORE the kids, I'll have extra time to do the things that I currently put off all day. Like Donna Otto says, "It's not what you DO that weighs you down, it's what you DON'T do." So true!

I'm also getting back on track with praying and reading my Bible in the mornings. I'm positive this will be easier if I do it before the kids get up. I'm going to intentionally pray for God's direction throughout the day, his guidance and wisdom in how to raise my kids, patience and grace in dealing with my family, and the strength to handle each situation gently. That's my new goal...I want to have a household that's calm and gentle. (it's currently a little loud to be considered either of those things!) Here goes:

Mondays
6:00am - Get up, read the Bible, read The Love Dare, check emails
7:00am - Kids up, dressed and fed
8:30am - Weekly babysitting swap with Julie
* The weeks that her kids are at MY house, I'll clean the kitchen, which is perfect to do (I can easily stop and start this project) while the kids play in the backyard or the downstairs playroom.
* The off weeks when my kids are at HER house, I'll run errands or catch up on leftover cleaning from the weekend. (probably bathrooms because I always procrastinate those)
10:30am - Pick up kids/Julie's kids get picked up...go to the gym
12:00pm - Lunch
1-3pm - Nap time (free time for me - blog, email, make phone calls, scrapbook, catch up on t.v., shower, stare at the wall, whatever I feel like doing)
3:00pm - Kid time...help Ryan with his reading and writing while Kaylin colors, then all do a craft or activity together
4:00pm - Kids play or watch a movie while I make dinner and pick up the house before Mike gets home
5:30pm - Dinner
6:30pm - Get kids ready for bed
7:00pm - Bible study comes over

Tuesdays
6:00am - Get up, read the Bible, check emails
7:00am - Kids up, dressed and fed
8:00am - Clean glass throughout the house
8:50am - Leave to bring Ryan to school
9:00am - Go to the gym
10:30am - Run errands (CVS for sale items, Costco, Trader Joe's, etc.)
11:30am - Pick Ryan up from school
12:00pm - Lunch
1-3pm - Nap time (free time for me)
3:00pm - Kid time...help Ryan with his reading and writing while Kaylin colors, then go to the park, ride bikes out front or something else outside.
4:00pm - Kids play or watch a movie while I make dinner and pick up the house
5:30pm - Dinner
6:00pm - Family time
7:00pm - Bath time
7:30pm - Kids go to bed
8:00pm - Laundry

Wednesdays
6:00am - Get up, read the Bible, check emails
7:00am - Kids up, dressed and fed
8:00am - Leave for the chiropracter
9:00am - Go to the grocery store
10:00am - Grandma Barb comes over to babysit
10am-4pm - Work for mom, return calls, respond to invitations and emails, clip coupons and write out the grocery sales for the week, meal plan, organize paperwork in office
4:30pm - Go to weights class at the gym
6:00pm - Dinner
6:30pm - Family time
7:30pm - Kids go to bed

Thursdays
6:00am - Get up, read the Bible, check emails
7:00am - Kids up, dressed and fed
8:30am - Leave to bring Ryan to school
9-11:30am - Volunteer in Ryan's class
12:00pm - Lunch
1-3pm - Nap time (free time for me)
3:00pm - Kid time...help Ryan with his reading and writing while Kaylin colors, then do crafts or play outside
4:30pm - Make dinner
5:30pm - Eat dinner
6:00pm - Family time
7:00pm - Bath time...clean the kids' bathroom while they play in the tub
7:30pm - Kids go to bed

Fridays
6:00am - Get up, read the Bible, check emails
7:00am - Kids up, dressed and fed
8:30am - Go to Yoga class at the gym
9:30am - Errands
11:00am - Dust, bake or do a craft with the kids
12:00pm - Lunch
1-3pm - Nap time (free time for me)
3:00pm - Kids watch t.v. while I clean the downstairs bathroom
4:00pm - Play outside, free time
5:00pm - Make dinner
6:30pm - Family time
7:30pm - Kids go to bed

Saturdays
9:45pm - Kickboxing class
11:00am - Vacuum, mop and do master bathroom
12:00pm - Lunch
1-3pm - Naptime
4:00pm - Leave for church
7:00pm - Bathtime
7:30pm - Kids to bed

Sundays
NO SCHEDULE - day off

So there you have it. I'm going to do my best to stick to the cleaning portion of this schedule if it kills me. I've come up with a very managable system for doing my dishes and laundry. (I run the dishwasher most nights before bed and unload it after breakfast and laundry is done on Tuesday and Friday nights) I would love to feel the same way about the rest of the household chores! I really hope my new schedule works for me. Does anyone have any other tips for helping me get a handle on my house cleaning???

6 comments:

janellybelly said...

Great schedule!!! If you go to flylady's website she has a ton of great tips! Check it out! =]

Lauren said...

You've gotten so much accomplished on your list! And your daily schedule..wow! You DO get a lot done! I don't really have any tips, since I'm working on getting a cleaning schedule too, but one thing I will say that I have found...I am SOO not a morning person, but when I get up early before everyone else, I get so much accomplished. So I think that is something great that you have incorporated into your day. Let me know if you find any great cleaning schedule ideas!

chandy said...

That seems like a nice and do-able schedule. Sometimes I think I'd trade my dog to be able to sleep in until 6:00 and have 2 free hours a day ;)

But, I only have to do about 50% of my housework, so that makes it much easier for me. Joel takes care of the other half. But we're both looking forward to the day that the kids can start earning an allowance by doing some of our housework! Those will be the days!

Sarah Mae said...

Wow, wow, wow...

I need some of your genes..

Julie said...

Great schedule, if that doesn't do it for ya.... I don't know what will! :) For me, getting up before everyone else is key. That way the kids are greeted by an awake, fresh, energized and organized mommy. The days I don't do that are not so much "calm and gentle". You didn't ask for that input, but I think you've got the cleaning system down! I already shared the idea to clean as they bathe...

Wani said...

This is great! I really hope that you are able to stick to it (that's always the hard part for me!).

Related Posts with Thumbnails