Tuesday, January 27, 2009

#27 - Attept to make homemade cinnamon rolls

Do you ever feel so intimidated by something that you have a mental block against doing it? That's how I felt about homemade cinnamon rolls.

And now I feel like an idiot.

I've wanted to bake cinnamon rolls from scratch for over 2 years and was convinced I'd screw them up. Notice I subconsciously put "attempt to make..." in the title of #27 on my list! I just noticed this detail. We're talking a serious mental block.

This recipe for no-rise cinnamon rolls took 45 minutes from the time I pulled out the ingredients to the rolls hitting my children's lips. Incredibly easy. I put it on my meal plan for this week to force myself to finally try them. If you try these, two quick tips: I didn't add quite enough milk...they were a little dry. I think they would have been more moist, too, if I would have put them closer together in the pan. I just wasn't sure how much they would expand and the outsides were too crunchy as a result.








Next time, I'll plan ahead and make my friend's "Cinnabon"-like recipe that requires about 100 pounds of butter, some time to rise (I'll make them the night before) and taste like a little bit of heaven. When I do, I'll post the recipe with pictures to share.

Ryan ate his cinnamon roll just like he eats cupcakes...just the frosting on top, leaving hunks of crumbs on the plate. Kaylin ate every last bite and loved it. And I felt a little sick from eating sugar so early in the morning. So I made us all some eggs. (Ryan said, "Mommy, these eggs are good for me. I think I should have an egg every morning!" Fine by me, my little health-conscious boy!)

Then Kaylin said, "Mommy, I have frosting on my lip, just like Frosting the Snowman!" I love kids' interpretations of words.

#27 on my 101 goals list is officially crossed off - fear conquered!

6 comments:

Bogart in P Towne said...

yum...

I can just hear the goodness.

DutchMac said...

Don't be scared of cinnamon rolls. They're no different from any other recipe. You read the book, and do what it says. It's mix, go do something else while they rise, punch down, roll and shape (hello? no different from cookies!), go do another something else while they rise again, throw in the oven.

You can totally do that!

Tracey said...

Don't you know how cruel it is to blog about cinnamon rolls and even post a picture of their pure delectableness (is that a word?) when you know pregnant women will be reading?! Shame on you :)
I am off to chew on my hand and hope the craving for cinnamon rolls goes away soon.

The Johnson Family said...

SOOOOOOOOOOO good! I absolutely love making homemade cinnamon rolls. I haven't seen you in a while. I'm so happy to hear you all are doing well!

Raquel, The Glamorous Life said...

i was scared to make these too but once i did they were SO easy! i feel the same way about bread i want to make it but for some reason i haven't yet....

Jolie Molino said...

My dad makes the cinnabon recipe all the time with wheat flour instead and all organic items and they are wonderful!

Related Posts with Thumbnails