Friday, December 26, 2008

Some post-Christmas ideas

Did everyone have a GREAT Christmas? Is anyone out there a little sad that it's over...like ME? I just love this time of year and the "big day" seems to come and go so quickly.

In thinking about wrapping up the festivities, I have some ideas for you to let the Christmas cheer linger a little bit. A few friends of mine have a great way of enjoying their holiday cards all year. Well, not the cards so much as the pictures included with the cards. They take those huge collage frames with all of the different sized holes in the mat. Anyway, they put the pictures of all of their friends and family in the frame to hang up and look at throughout the year. Isn't that genius? (thanks Erin for the picture!)



Since I never got around to displaying the cards I received this year (I just tossed them in a Christmas basket, which is VERY unlike me), I've decided to do something a little different over the next few months. Someone once told me that they keep their Christmas cards on their dinner table throughout December and every night at dinner, take out a card and pray for the person who sent it. Well, December's nearly over, so we're going to start this on the 1st of January. If you haven't sent me a card yet and want prayers...there's still time!!! :)

Once your holiday fun is totally done and you're ready for your house to look like it does the other 11 months of the year, consider spreading it out over a few days. I notice Mike gets really bummed when we put away all of our Christmas stuff, so I'm thinking about putting away all but the tree one day, then taking down the tree a few days later, just to prolong the festivities as long as possible for him. (especially this year)
Other ways to keep the spirit alive:
- Drive around and look at Christmas lights...again. Most people keep their decorations up until the New Year, so go ahead and gawk.
- Hit some after Christmas sales and buy stuff (decor, festive holiday wear, wrapping paper/ribbons, even gifts) for next year. I'm so sad that we don't have extra cash right now because I would LOVE to buy tiny trees for each of my kid's bedrooms for next year.
- Rent a couple of "Christmas" movies that you didn't catch on tv. White Christmas, It's a Wonderful Life and The Family Man are great movies set around the holidays, but aren't ALL about Christmas like Elf, The Santa Clause or The Grinch.
- Sit down with the kids and help them write Thank You notes for their gifts. (it's a good habit to start with them early) If they're too young to write, have them draw a picture then sign their name at the end of your note. Include a picture of them enjoying the gift, if you can.
- AND there's still time to "camp" by the Christmas tree. (unless you've already torn your stuff down...)
That reminds me. I'm curious: when do your Christmas decorations come down? I'm meeting more and more people who pack up their Christmas stuff on December 26th. Scrooges! Traditionally, I'm totally a January 1st girl. When I was working, it was the perfect day-off to complete the big task of tearing down, packing up, putting away and doing the post-decoration clean-up. What about you?

4 comments:

Raquel said...

I usally have all my stuff down Chrsitmas night after everyone goes to bed!!!..... I KNOW i am bad that way, this year we are having hubbies family over tomorrow for our last christmas party so i will wait until everyone goes to bed then start taking stuff down! i think i will put up all the stuff and then take the trees down the next day

Heathahlee said...

We went to Cracker Barrel last night for supper and they had their Christmas stuff at 70% off. I got a few things but I'm going to wait a couple more days and see if it goes to 80 or 90%. Wouldn't that be great? I want to go to Kohl's today, too, since I have some Kohl's cash to spend. They had some really pretty stuff, too.

Our decorations are still up, but the tree is not on. Somehow I just don't want to turn it back on since Christmas is over. Man, it just seemed to fly by this year. Sigh...next year Sound Man and I have promised ourselves we won't get caught up in all the hustle and bustle. I have a reminder on my calendar for September 1st that says, "Start getting ready for Christmas NOW!" I hope I stick to it!

kdh said...

Christmas is "undone" here! Every last ounce is put away and I hope every last needle has been vacuumed. I know, I must have issues... I just will not start the new year off cleaning up last year's stuff...?? After Christmas night, it all is just something else I need to do .... so I just get it done!

Anonymous said...

Wow, that was weird. It's me, Julie! My last post was entered by "kdh" which is my sister. Silly girl must be logged into my computer and I didn't know it.

BTW - I have never gotten past the display of the Christmas pic cards to do anything meaningful with them. Thanks for the inspiration to do such...

Related Posts with Thumbnails