Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Belated Advent

Of ALL the great Christmas ideas I had intended to do this season, Advent should have been one of the most important. Yet here it is...December 9th...and we have done none of my Advent calendar ideas.

We did make countdown paper chains that the kids have been tearing off daily since Thanksgiving weekend. But that's not truly about Advent. That's just counting down to Christmas day so they don't continue to ask me every day if it's Christmas yet.

So get this - I now have THREE Advent calendars. No joke. And I'm not doing any of them.

A few years ago, I made this in my church moms group. But I never completely finished stitching it. (see days 15-18) Each year, I take it out with the intention of finishing the 10 minutes of stitching that's left, but I haven't done it yet. It's currently on my to do list and I intend to do it by the end of the week. (again, it's the 2nd week of December...better late than never, right?)



Then a few weeks ago, I went to a fellow scrapbook friend's house and made this little Advent Scrapbook. She had extra supplies, I brought the Christmas paper I had laying around and an adorable little book was born. I have all the tags that go inside each day's pockets, but they're blank. How long will this project go unfinished? I need to sit down and write a verse of scripture and an activity on each little tag. Cute, isn't it? It's not happening this year.







But today, as I was roaming the aisles of Target, I found this. I had a gift card from my birthday and knew that Mike wouldn't get mad if I bought it using the gift card. It was even on sale from $28 down to $19. Super cute and not something I can mess up. I brought it home, stuck 2 Hershey's kisses behind each little door (skipping the first 8 doors, of course...) and we're finally doing SOMEthing for Advent. And the kids are thrilled. You can tell that some poor 7 year old kids made it in China because the painted "ribbon" on day 19 is totally going the wrong way. That will bug me EVERY year, I just know it.



Want to know a secret? (actually, you're not the only one reading this, so it's not truly a secret) I'm a natural procrastinator. Honestly, I am. But I've figured this out about myself, so I rush to do things as soon as I think about them so I don't have a chance to put them off for later. If I don't do something right away, it won't get done until the last minute. I have to hurry and do everything while I'm motivated. Like the 12 Days of Christmas series...I wrote those over a weekend and set them up to auto-post on the correct day.

It's a weird thing I do, but I'm just glad I figured that out about myself. So when I think, "Oh, I'll do that later," I stop myself and realize, "No you won't! Just hurry up and do it right now...it will only take a minute and you'll be so glad you did." I read in Donna Otto's book "Secrets to Getting More Done in Less Time" that it's not what you DO that weighs you down, it's what you DON'T DO. I know I've shared that before, but it's worth repeating because it's true for all of us.

What are you putting off? Get up and go do it right now. Seriously...you're just wasting time on the computer. (plus, you've already read my blog, so nothing else could be that important!) Go on! Be productive!!!

3 comments:

HeathahLee said...

That Advent scrapbook is beautiful! We don't have an Advent calendar. I never really "got" Advent growing up, and to be honest I still don't. Isn't there like a church thing that goes along with it in some denominations? Evidently, Southern Baptist is not one of those denominations. I was deprived, for sure!

And thank you for the reminder that I need to stop procrastinating. However, I can't go outside and paint my birds because it has been POURING all flippin day long, with no end in sight in the near future, AND my husband is too busy relaxing to drill my holes for my tassels. So...I get to procrastinate a little longer. Actually, I do have a few things that can get done. Like wrapping presents so my tree looks complete!

Rachael Schepemaker said...

OK, I need a lesson on advent because I too really have no clue behind the meaning of it all besides getting kids excited in anticipation of Christ's birth. Is there any way we could schedule some time where you teach us how to make the advent scrapbook? That thing is beautiful! I'm serious about the class :-)

Katie Porter said...

I am laughing because on Friday I was roaming Target with Morgan and saw the Advent countdowns too! I have a $20 gift card to spend but I couldn't find one that wasn't messed up so I skipped out! Too funny!

Related Posts with Thumbnails