Thursday, December 18, 2008

Ice Cream Cone Christmas Tree Craft

Check out what the kids created at Ryan's school today! We should have colored the frosting green for the true effect, but here's the idea: take a sugar ice cream cone, dip the wide end in frosting and stick it to a bowl or plate. We gave the kids frosting to spread on the cone to make it into "Christmas tree" and candy decorations to add as ornaments and lights. Similar to a gingerbread house but 10 times simpler.

Before...


After...


I aided at the pre-school Christmas party today and Mike was able to join us for the sing-along and (of course) the pizza party. Kaylin sat with the big kids and even decorated her own "tree." She always feels like such a big girl in Ryan's class...


Before the chaos began, Mrs. B took the monthly class picture. She always uses props and was wrapping Christmas lights around the kids when one of the, um, rowdier kids yelled, "Oh PLEASE don't tie me up!" Mrs. B quickly said, "...and that is exactly how rumors get started."


In the first hour of class, we crammed in Christmas Bingo (with M&Ms), the kids made reindeer feed (oats and glitter to sprinkle on the yard so the reindeer can see their houses better) and wrapped their gifts to the parents, decorating the wrapping paper, writing the tag and adding tons and tons of bows.

Last year, I was SO surprised by Ryan's gift. His teacher got the best, smiling picture of Ryan that I'd seen in months (he went through a long phase of never sitting still or smiling for pictures) and turned it into a Christmas ornament that Ryan decorated. She gave the class strict instructions to put the gift under the tree and not allow Mom or Dad to peek until Christmas morning. They got the same instructions this year, but unfortunately for me (I enjoy surprises sometimes!) I've seen the gift. And I almost cried!!! I'll say it again: I LOVE this teacher. I don't want to spoil it for Mike (who I doubt is reading this), but I'm excited we'll get to appreciate this gift all year long.

3 comments:

Heathahlee said...

Those Christmas trees look so cute! I'll have to file that away for next year!

Unknown said...

What a fun and cute idea! I am having a Christmas party for kids at my house next Saturday, this is going to be so much fun for them! Thanks

Carol Clarke said...

I made the sugar cone trees with my grandchildren, and they chose to put them out as a present to our squirrels. They were excited when their cone was "chosen." It was such fun and I expect it will become a tradition.

Related Posts with Thumbnails