Thursday, February 4, 2010

Buttermilk Pancakes

This has been my go-to recipe for pancakes for the last couple of years. I'm not sure why I've never posted it! I can't even remember where I found it, but it's delicious and makes perfect pancakes every time. I'll post a picture when my main computer is fixed.

2 eggs
2.5 cups buttermilk*
4 T. canola oil
2.5 cups flour
2 T. sugar
3 t. baking powder
1 t. baking soda
1 t. salt

Mix the dry ingredients, then slowly add in the wet ingredients. Don't overbeat or the pancakes will turn out tough - some lumps are fine. Cook on a hot griddle until bubbles form on top, then flip.

*I never have buttermilk, so I use this trick: add 1 T. lemon juice per 1 cup milk and let it sit for 5-10 minutes. The chemical reaction creates the same effect as using buttermilk. Regular milk works fine, too, but the pancakes aren't as fluffy.
post signature

4 comments:

DutchMac said...

Want to know the best tip I've learned about pancakes? After you've GENTLY mixed the batter together (we love lumps), you then LEAVE the batter to rest anywhere from 30 minutes to overnight. The chemical reaction between the acid in the buttermilk and the raising agents causes big air bubbles to form (similar to yeast when baking bread) and it's these bubbles that make the pancakes light and fluffy.

Very important that you do NOT stir the mixture again after it raises. Just dip in your scoop (I use a 1/4 cup measuring cup) and pour onto the griddle. If you leave the batter to rest 30-60 minutes, it's fine on the kitchen counter. If longer, put it in the fridge. Doing it the night before makes everything so much faster the next morning.

Enjoy!

PS - Using real buttermilk makes even thicker batter than milk w/lemon juice (but not doughy-er pancakes). If I know I'm making them, I'll get real buttermilk. If it's impulse, I use milk w/lemon, but ALWAYS decrease the amount a bit because you just don't get the rich consistency of the real thing that way.

Cin said...

Can I use wheat flour???

Melissa Darby said...

You can also use vinegar in milk to make buttermilk. It is 1 teaspoon per cup of milk. I am always looking for a new pancake recipe, so I will definitely give this one a try

"Intentionally Katie" said...

Great tips, ladies! And Cin - YES. But use 1/2 whole wheat flour and 1/2 regular.

Related Posts with Thumbnails