Saturday, October 15, 2016

What I've Learned at 40

I recently turned 40 years old. FORTY. I was in college when my mom turned 40 and she seemed so. old. How am I already 40???
My mom and Mike threw me a surprise party, complete with fly-ins from 3 of my bridesmaids (from Houston, northern California and Wichita) and another friend from KC. It was such a great way to celebrate this milestone!
I can honestly say that I am able to look back over the past 40 years with no regrets. I love my husband, my kids, our home, our traditions, and the life we have created. 

I have discovered that it will never be perfect, whatever "it" is. I have learned to be content in...my marriage, my body, my patience level, my relationships, my communication, homeschooling, my drive to achieve...I will never arrive. I am forever a work in progress. 

At 40, there's no need for a facade. I am a positive, optimistic person, but I will be the first to admit when things get tough. What you see is what you get...I don't have the energy for manipulation, games or drama.

I am comfortable in my own skin. I've come to realize that this may be as good as I'm ever going to look! It's incredibly freeing. 

I appreciate the personality God has given me. I have discovered my strengths and I accept my weaknesses. 

At 40, I don't feel the need to "fix" myself. I stay up too late, I wait too long to leave the house for appointments, I don't take hints well, and I care too much about screwing up my children. I make mistakes, I forget to return phone calls, I respond to texts in my head, but most people who know me know my heart and that my intention is never to hurt or offend anyone.

I have learned to be more flexible and less rigid. Yet I understand that I work better with structure, deadlines, and goals. I have dozens of alarms on my phone so I don't forget what needs to be done. I like to feel a sense of accomplishment before I can fully relax, so I've learned to "eat the frog" early in the day.

At 40, I have learned the value of creating space in my life. That taking time to recharge is not selfish. That asking for help is not weakness. 

I know my priorities and boundaries. I no longer feel guilty telling people "no" because it often allows me to say "yes" to something more important. 

I strive to give others grace, assuming they are just doing the best they can with what they've been given. I hope others will assume the same of me.

At 40, nothing is more important than honesty and integrity. My values are unshakable. My faith is my foundation.

I feel older, but wiser. My body is aging, but I am healthy. I'm not as exciting as I once was, but definitely still crack myself up! I have immeasurably more than I need or deserve...I pray that I don't ever take these things for granted.

I am so very grateful for all I have. For who I am. For all that is ahead for me. 
post signature

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails