Well, hello there! Yes, I am still alive and YES I realize it's very unlike me to go more than a week without posting. I've had time to write, just nothing really to write about. Nothing worthy of its own post, anyway. SO here are snippets of what's been happening around here...
Much to my surprise, I'm actually enjoying our back-to-school schedule. With Kaylin being at Kindergarten from the moment Jason goes down for his nap until the moment he wakes up...well, let's just say that I have a lot more quiet time than I'm used to! I've been catching up on absolutely everything. And Jason sleeps so much more soundly with the big kids out of the house!
Ryan asked me to make waffles at 7:15 yesterday morning and I reluctantly agreed. Unfortunately, the first batch wasn't done until he was supposed to be walking out the door for the bus stop, so he ate a granola bar as he rushed out the door instead of the waffles that HE was craving.
When I told Kaylin that she had her five year check up on Monday, she looked at me quite seriously and asked, "So they need to check to make sure I'm five?" She didn't understand why Mike and I almost peed our pants laughing.
Yesterday, the phone rang as Ryan got home from school. I was upstairs and could faintly hear the front door close as I answered the phone. "Hello, this is the Transportation Department. Your son left Kaylin, on the bus and we don't allow Kindergarteners to walk home unescorted." I looked down at Ryan, taking his shoes off at the bottom of the stairs and casually said, "So, um...where's your sister?" Ryan looked around (like she was supposed to be hanging out somewhere) and freaked out as the man on the phone said, "If he runs to the next bus stop, we'll let her off there." And out the door he sprinted. Kaylin seemed unphased and, when asked why she didn't get off the bus, simply explained, "I was looking out the window and didn't realize we'd come to our stop," while Ryan said that he thought he was still in first grade and walked home alone. KIDS.
Much to my surprise, I'm actually enjoying our back-to-school schedule. With Kaylin being at Kindergarten from the moment Jason goes down for his nap until the moment he wakes up...well, let's just say that I have a lot more quiet time than I'm used to! I've been catching up on absolutely everything. And Jason sleeps so much more soundly with the big kids out of the house!
---------------
Ryan asked me to make waffles at 7:15 yesterday morning and I reluctantly agreed. Unfortunately, the first batch wasn't done until he was supposed to be walking out the door for the bus stop, so he ate a granola bar as he rushed out the door instead of the waffles that HE was craving.
---------------
When I told Kaylin that she had her five year check up on Monday, she looked at me quite seriously and asked, "So they need to check to make sure I'm five?" She didn't understand why Mike and I almost peed our pants laughing.
---------------
Yesterday, the phone rang as Ryan got home from school. I was upstairs and could faintly hear the front door close as I answered the phone. "Hello, this is the Transportation Department. Your son left Kaylin, on the bus and we don't allow Kindergarteners to walk home unescorted." I looked down at Ryan, taking his shoes off at the bottom of the stairs and casually said, "So, um...where's your sister?" Ryan looked around (like she was supposed to be hanging out somewhere) and freaked out as the man on the phone said, "If he runs to the next bus stop, we'll let her off there." And out the door he sprinted. Kaylin seemed unphased and, when asked why she didn't get off the bus, simply explained, "I was looking out the window and didn't realize we'd come to our stop," while Ryan said that he thought he was still in first grade and walked home alone. KIDS.
On Monday, some girlfriends took me to a belated birthday lunch at a great local restaurant (3rd Place Grill) that has free childcare. Please don't judge me, but I guilt-less-ly brought Kaylin to school late that day. When filling out the sign in sheet, I left the "reason for tardy" section totally blank. What was I supposed to write? "...because I was selfish and had a magnificent 90 minute lunch with my girlfriends." Hardly. It's just Kindergarten, right...?
---------------
This weekend, Mike's parents bought me a new lens for my camera for my birthday. It's the same lens the photographer used for our recent baking photo shoot. (50mm f1.8) It is my new favorite toy!!! I can get great bokeh at close range...
---------------
I'm officially 35. Too old to be young and too young to be old. I don't feel 35. But Kaylin announced last night that she FINALLY feels five. Thank goodness...it only took eight days for her to feel five years old!
---------------
Speaking of birthdays, Kaylin's favorite gift was a pink digital kid camera. This morning, I found said camera in my tub, speckled with water dropletts. Upon picking it up, I realized that a certain toddler (I won't name names) ran water on my daughter's prized birthday present. And it is now dead as a doornail. I think I was as crushed as Kaylin was. I don't like flushing money down the drain! Destructo-boy strikes again.
---------------
My $500+ mouthguard is missing. (*sigh*) Jason tends to misplace items from my nightstand and I recently found the empty case on the floor. We've all searched the whole house, including the trash cans, and can't find my stupid mouthguard anywhere, so I've been grinding my teeth again which is causing me morning headaches. And I'm too cheap to buy another mouthguard. Curses!
---------------
My dad's dad passed away yesterday. We had lost touch and were never really tight to begin with, so I'm not broken up about it, but it's the closest I've been to death since 1987. The really sad part is that he was a proud Atheist for the last few decades of his life. What a hopeless way to die.
---------------
Yesterday, it was too hot outside for my kids to play at recess. The weather has simply been unbearable here! But I chose to let Kaylin ride the bus to school for the first time, despite the record-breaking heat index. And when I returned home from the bus stop, I totally needed a shower. These temperatures are really sabotaging my desire to cross #18 off my 101 in 1001 list, which requires hiking a steep mountain.
---------------
I need to get on the ball and potty train Jason. He is so ready, but it's just so much easier to change a diaper a few times a day than it is to race him to the potty seat during meals, at the grocery store or while driving across town. Ugh. I just need to bear down and do it. Soon.
![]() |
| (This was Jason after I caught him hiding in my curtains...he emerged smelling like a port-a-potty) |
I think that's it. A bunch of nothing, but my days are full and I find myself laughing at my kids a LOT lately. With them, at them, same difference. We all laugh together...does that sound less cruel??? I'm working on getting caught up on my Picture of the Day blog, so for those who follow that, check back in a day or two. If you've missed my Meal Plans, you can also look forward to seeing those again soon. I can't handle the thrown-together meals we've been having lately. I'm over it. And I have some fun new recipes to try. Can't wait!

















2 comments:
Yay for the new lens! That's the exact same one that I just ordered for my birthday next week. I can hardly wait until it arrives.
No judging here, I would have done the same thing for a girl's lunch. Missing a couple hours of kindergarten has never hurt a child. (And I say that as a former Kindergarten teacher.)
I LOVE the bus stop story! Ha!
But the 35 thing? For those of us already (long since) on the other side of that number, I lovingly request you shut your youthful mouth and get on with aging (un)gracefully like the rest of us. ;-)
xoxoxoxoxooxo
Post a Comment