I've read some great conversation-starter ideas lately that I want
to share. We usually talk about these things at dinner, but you can do them anytime your family is together. Couples without kids can do these too!
The first idea is from the book I'm reading, "7 Habits of Highly Effective Families." There was a suggestion to go around the table every night saying something positive about one family member. Last Friday, things were tense for some reason and I decided to start the tradition with Ryan, who I hoped would change his attitude before his football game that night. Mike, Kaylin and I each said something positive about him and he was absolutely beaming. His whole countanence changed, as did the mood of the table. Saturday it was Mike's turn and today was Kaylin. (she even said something nice about herself) We'll just keep going down the list!
Then this morning, I saw this idea on Sarah Mae's blog. Every day, she asks her daughter the same four questions:
What made you happy today?
What made you feel sad today?
What made you feel angry today?
What brought you joy today?
We went around the dinner table asking these questions tonight and it sparked some awesome conversations and insight into our kids' days. Kaylin's "What made you feel angry today?" answer was when Mike left for work and Ryan left for school before she woke up so she didn't get to kiss them good-bye. It didn't make her sad, it actually made her angry. I found that interesting. And next time she sleeps in, I'll make sure everyone wakes her up to give her a hug and a kiss.
The last idea is one I heard years ago. It's along the same lines, but a little more simplified. It's called, "Gratefuls and Grumbles." Everyone in the family shares something that they're grateful for and something that made the "grumble" during the day.
Does anyone else have an idea of a good conversation starter that works for your family?
Monday, April 26, 2010
Get everyone talking
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)












3 comments:
Something a Psychologist suggested to me a few years ago was the following three questions:
1. What was good about your day?
2. What was bad about your day?
3. How can I help?
Its more in the context of husband/wife, but I'm sure it can be adapted to kids as well.
This is a WONDERFUL idea! Most of our "conversations" around the dinner table lately have been in the forms of "Mommy, more water," or "Kaiden, eat your dinner please" (for the um-teenth time).
This sounds like a great way to get away from teh stress filled dinner experience and help our kids express themselves!
I love those questions! We need to have some "scripted" time with Kiddo to get him talking about something other than Star Wars! : )
Post a Comment