Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Tuesday's Time Saving {Post-Vacation} Tips

When you're getting ready to go out of town, consider preparing your kitchen for your arrival home. I thought I did this, but I was wrong. For example, before we left for California, we ran out of milk and eggs. Knowing that both will last more than a week, I bought a gallon of milk and a dozen eggs to leave in the fridge. Both were gone within 2 days of our return, but it kept me from having to rush out to the store.
.
In addition to the basics, make sure you have enough food on hand to make a few meals before needing to make a grocery run. My mom made us a casserole to eat on Sunday night so that I didn't have to cook (thanks, Mom!) - but yesterday, I found myself in a bind. I knew I'd be short on time, so I needed to make something quick. I had planned on quesadillas for dinner, but managed to run out of refried beans in the pantry. So I went to plan B. I pulled out some tortellini from the fridge that was set to expire on 10/1. But when I opened the package, I found mold. (*sigh*) I didn't really have a plan C, until I found some ravioli in the freezer that I must have bought at Costco a while back.
.
This was all happening as I'm trying to help Ryan with his make-up homework from last week, complete Kaylin's paperwork to send for her first day of school today and prepare for our first Bible study for the fall semester to arrive at 6:45. Not having a complete plan (and worse...running low on my emergency food stash) made for a very stressful evening. I had a plan for dinner, I just didn't check for all of the ingredients, so it didn't work out.
post signature

4 comments:

chandy said...

Ugh... I'm reading this from our hotel on vacation (free wifi comes in handy when your kids go to bed early!) and I realize I have nothing to eat when we get home, and the last thing I want to do right now is eat out. I may have to invite myself over to my mom's for dinner!

DutchMac said...

We do this, too. Other back-up ideas are having whoever's looking after the house in your absence pick up a few things your last day gone (like your mom did, but planned in advance) or placing a grocery store order for delivery the morning of your first day back (our stores here accept orders up to two weeks in advance). Yeah, there's the $5 delivery charge, but that small amount of cash versus your sanity that first morning is totally worth it. Oh, how I love grocery delivery!

Cindy Anderson said...

That Jill has the best ideas. Grocery delivery, WOW!

The Taskers said...

OK, great minds really think alike! I did the same sort of prep for our trip to CA (you know, the one you were on with us :) ) - including making Spaghetti sauce and Enchiladas and put them in the fridge. I have never done the buy milk beforehand thing, but I did it this time and it was brilliant! I was then able to do a true 20 minute run to the store for produce only the day after we got home - loving it!

Grocery delivery sounds awesome - will need to look into that as well.

Related Posts with Thumbnails