Friday, February 13, 2009

Camera HELP needed, please

This post is for those of you with big, cool, bulky, amazing cameras. I'm ready to start researching a big girl camera. I hate the delay that I get with my current digital camera and need help finding the right camera for me. My goal is to figure out which camera I want and to buy it gently used. I don't need the latest and greatest camera on the market today. Someone else's sloppy-seconds-so-they-could-upgrade is fine by me!

I also don't need to analyze this thing to death, but I don't want to make a rookie purchasing mistake, either. That's why I need your help...here's my list of preferences...

- I won't be using this to start a professional photography business, but I'd like a camera that will take GREAT pictures, specifically the ability to control my own aperature.

- I like the "hold down the shutter and take a succession of pictures" feature - or at least taking several shots back to back while pressing the shutter repeatedly.

- I don't need 10MP or anything crazy like that. Mine is currently 4 and it prints perfect 12x12 pictures just fine.

- I really need the ability to recharge the battery - I am so OVER buying batteries for my camera that I have now. 2 batteries last for about a week for me...this hobby is expensive without rechargability as an option.

- Canon or Nikon - is there a price and/or quality difference? Pros and cons to each?

- I don't want so many functions that I need to take a class to learn how to use the camera.

- I'd like something lightweight-ish, if possible.

- I know I'll want a zoom lens but what KIND of lens would be enough for my purposes? I don't want too much or too little...

-Last question: all in, how much do you think I'm going to have to pay for the camera and lens(es) I want?

Thanks for the help, friends! Every time I use my camera and miss a great picture of my kids, I feel SO ready to cross #61 off my list of 101 Goals in 1001 Days.

11 comments:

The DutchMac Tribe said...

We bought the Canon SD360 a year and a half ago for about $300 (so it's probably tons cheaper now) and absolutely LOVE it. The best thing about it is that the viewing screen is the size of the entire back of the camera, so you get a better view of what you're actually taking. The battery recharges quickly, and overall, it's a great camera. Totally in love.

One thing we learned, though, is that a larger memory card will add to the delay in taking pictures. I was happy enough with our 1Gb card, but my tech geek husband couldn't resist buying a 2Gb...and there's a noticeable delay when taking pictures both normally and with the multiple/timer function. 1Gb is perfect.

As for second-hand, the only thing I'd bring up is your lack of warranty then. We had a problem with the shutter closing about three weeks short of the warranty ending. So even with the big international hassle of having to call BestBuy in the States to fax a copy receipt to my parents AND THEN have them mail it over here .... Canon honored it and repaired it for free. This wasn't a normal procedure, either, as that isn't the exact model that's offered over here. If we hadn't had the warranty, we could have been totally screwed.

Good luck!

Heathahlee said...

I'm going to keep up with your comments, because I want to know the answers to all these questions, too! : )

Heathahlee said...

Oops...now I'll have comments sent to me...forgot to check the button. : )

Anonymous said...

Nikon D40 is a great one for me. I've had it for a year and don't know any of the settings, but it takes awesome photos on auto. Much better and faster than a point and shoot. I don't carry it much though, because it's bulky, and when I bought it, it was the smallest SLR on the market

The Runyans said...

CANON 5D. that's my favorite, but my back up camera is my 40D. I love it as well.

If you are just wanting a super great camera, I'd go for the 40. . . .

and don't go any other way than canon!!!!

Anonymous said...

Katie, I think you need to decide #1 do you want an SLR or not. If you going for the SLR, Nikon all the way. If not, I got a great Fuji S5200 from Wolf Camera a few years back and it still holds par to all others on the market. It is not SLR only because you can't change the lens and the flash. It can use rechargeable batteries...we got the fast hour charger for $20, it has fast shutter even in automatic, you can change the settings for manual focusing or auto. I have been asked for copyright releases when picking my photos up from being processed....it is that good, and so am I!

The DutchMac Tribe said...

Correction: My earlier comment had a type-o. We have the CanonSD630. That was the only type-o, just the number. The amount that we love it was accurate. :-)

Good luck!

Rachel said...

Katie,
It's so funny to read everyone's takes on Canon vs. Nikon. I am personally a Canon girl, but only because I started in high school with a Canon Ae-1 SLR and I love Canon so much I can't seem to even pick up another brand.

As far as my amateur opinion goes...
I've been working for a pro wedding photographer for about a year who only uses Canon. She uses the Canon 5D and 40D as a back up. These are AMAZING cameras that do more than you can imagine. Pair them with AMAZING lenses and you have the ability to take AMAZING pictures! BUT... get yourself an entry level DSLR and you also have the ability to take AMAZING pictures. If you don't see yourself going pro... don't buy the bulk, weight and features of the pro-level cameras! (IMO!!!)

I myself own the Canon xsi, which is an entry level DSLR- it has many features that are there for you when you are ready to learn to use them, but also shoots great photos on AUTO. You can shoot in Aperture priority mode, which you said you wanted to be able to control. Pair it with an inexpensive (80.00) 50mm/1.8 lens, and you will have some great shots of your kiddos. I am looking to move up to the 50D soon, but only because I am wanting to start learning and shooting with Jennifer, my photographer friend. I would be more than happy to bring it over for you to look at and shoot with. You need to TRY before you BUY!!! Is it too big, too heavy, too bulky? Do you like the ability to change the lens? Will you use all of the features, or just keep it on auto? etc...

A "good quality" DSLR will run you 500.00-600.00 plus with a lens kit, but you can get a great point and shoot for under 200.00. You are just limited on what you are able to do with your Aperture/Shutter Speeds.

Does this help???? Call me and I'll bring mine over for you to look at and compare to a Canon point and shoot-

Good luck-

Jenn Hydeman said...

Katie, email me...we are selling off my current SLR that I have been using to take the pictures on my website and such. I am sure we can work out a great deal.

thekreativelife said...

Hi Katie! Thanks so much for the encouragement on my post! ;)

As for cameras . . . I was a die - hard Nikon gal, until I held the Canon Rebel XTi. For me, it ended up being ergonomics . . . the Canon just "fit" better, if you know what I mean. Both the Nikon and the Canon brands are wonderful. I have no complaints with either.

I'm totally in love with my Canon, though. I'm a VERY amateur photographer, but I've seen myself grow by leaps and bounds since I purchased it a year ago.

I would recommend going to a camera shop and "handling" both the Nikon and the Canon, and checking out where each camera's functions are located. Ease of use and accessibility was one of those things I checked out, too.

Hope that helps you out a little, and if you have any other questions, specifically about the Canon Rebel XTi, I'm just a click away! ;)

thekreativelife said...

Oh . . . if you'd like to check out some of my photos with the Canon, you can just click on over to my flickr photostream.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thekreativelife/

I shoot, more often than not in AV Mode.

Related Posts with Thumbnails