Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Bowties with Broccoli & Sausage

This recipe has very little "sauce" and is healthy and really delicious. I forgot to salt the water pot for the pasta and was worried that the dish wouldn't be flavorful enough, but the sausage made a HUGE difference once it was added. Mike raved and there were no leftovers.

Bowties w/ broccoli & sausage

1 head broccoli, cut into small florets
Salt & pepper
1 tbsp olive oil
4 Italian sausages (I often find turkey sausages on "Manager's Special" for $1.99 then freeze them until I am going to use them - breakfast sausages even work well for this recipe)
1 lb whole wheat bowtie pasta (I found these at Albertson's - their store brand)
1 red pepper, diced or 1/3 cup sun dried tomatoes
½ cup parmesan
½ cup pureed, cooked vegetables, optional (I used butternut squash - I make sure we can't taste the hidden veggies when I add them in)

- Cook the bowtie pasta according to package directions. Add the broccoli florets to the pasta water with 5-6 minutes left before the pasta is done. (*If you're not adding pureed veggies, keep ½ cup pasta water before draining.)
- Cook broccoli till tender. Either keep the florets whole OR add salt, black pepper and oil to broccoli and roughly mash, depending on your family's preference.

- While the pasta is cooking, remove casing from sausages and crumble into large skillet. Add ¼ cup water and cook over medium-high heat until water is evaporated and sausage is no longer pink. (10-12 min)

- Add red pepper (or sun dried tomatoes) to the sausage with 3 minutes to go.

- Drain pasta and return to pot. Add broccoli, sausage mixture, parmesan, and either the pasta water or the optional pureed vegetables. Toss and enjoy.

4 comments:

The Fat Dietitian said...

It sounds delicious, I am going to have to make this in the not too distant future! Do you think babyfood could be used in place of pureed veggies?

Snow White said...

I'm going to try this recipe this week... what other pureed veggies could you suggest?? :) thanks!

Katie @ 3 Blondes and a Redhead said...

Baby food will work fine. As far as other veggies...try anything your family won't normally eat. I usually try to match the color of the veggie to the dish (in this case white, like cauliflower, or orange mixes well, like squash or sweet potatoes or carrots...green would also be fine, you'd just see green specks in there, so spinach, broccoli, kale, etc.)

Kristin said...

I made this for dinner tonight. I used egg noodles instead of bow ties and added pureed diced tomatoes. My husband and I loved it! I will definitely be making this again!

Related Posts with Thumbnails