Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Black Bean Brownies

People! I am a believer. These flourless brownies with black beans are GOOD. Don't expect them to taste like Martha Stewart's homemade brownies or anything, but you could make these for company and your guests will never know they are healthy. You have to try them. I adjusted the recipe just a little from the original to add baking powder for a more cake-like consistency. Next time I might try to substitute the oil for applesauce, as one of the commenters suggested. Here it is:

Black Bean Brownies
1 (15.5 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
3 eggs
3 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 pinch salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon instant coffee (optional)
1/2 cup chocolate chips (optional)

- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease an 8x8 square baking dish.
- Combine the all ingredients (except chocolate chips) in a blender; blend until smooth; pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle the chocolate chips over the top of the mixture.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the top is dry and the edges start to pull away from the sides of the pan, about 30 minutes. Yields 16 brownies.
Nutritional Information:
Calories: 127
Total Fat: 5.3 g
Cholesterol: 40 mg
Sodium: 142 mg
Total Carbs: 18.1 g
Dietary Fiber: 2.6 g
Protein: 3.3 g

7 comments:

chandy said...

I don't know...this one's going to be a hard sell Katie. I got my brownie recipe from the Hershey's website and it's pretty darn good ;)

DutchMac said...

Hey I'm all up for this. And I read the comments from other people, too, and I know a lot of them said it needs a little 'something' extra for taste. Here's my suggestion: Orange flavoring. The combination of chocolate and orange was sort of new to me until I moved to England (it's everywhere there) but now I see the beauty of it. Try substituting the vanilla with orange flavoring, or use an orange flavored liquer. So yummy!

The New Mrs. Rue said...

okay, so I saw your guest post over at the Happy Housewife and saw the "don't knock 'em til you try 'em" and the link to this post. I always have beans in the cupboard, so I decided to try these. I LOVE chocolate, and so do my kids, but thought I'd give this a go...I had to be sneaky, I waited til my hubby took my son to work, and I ran to the kitchen as fast as I could to blend the mix together so no one would know what it was made from. Turned out to be a BIG hit at our house!! Thanks!!

Snow White said...

Katie -- I made these over the weekend and they are my new favorites! I love them. And, I love they are gluten free, which works great for my mom-in-law!! thanks.

Anonymous said...

I just tried these when a friend of mine came over. I asked her in advance if she would be my guinea pig because I admit I was skeptical. But everyone that ate them loved them, including 2 picky little girls. My husband even said that he wanted me to make them all the time using this recipe. And that was after I told him what the ingredients were.

Christol said...

My kids were none the wiser! Thanks so much for the yummy recipe!

tara said...

Hi...i tried these but mine didnt turn out. They were WAY to moist and i couldn't really get them out of the pan with a spatula. i didnt feel like they were raw or anything they just didnt eve set up all the way. the flavor was good but texture was not. The only thing i think i did differently was i made them one night and then didnt cut them until the next night. I'm new to GF baking (and very frustrated by it!) so maybe you have to cut them immediately ? Any help you can offer is great. thanks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails