I need to vent. Can I do that? Is anyone willing to listen? I just have to get a few things off my chest.
.
Mike is a money guy. He's an Accountant, it's in his blood. So when the economy starts getting all crazy, he gets tense. Here's the thing: we are very blessed to have rental homes (Mike's 2 previous houses...the one he had when we got married and the one he had straight out of college) but if Mike could have it his way, we'd sell them, take the money and sock it away somewhere. But we would take a huge loss selling either house in this market, so we continue renting them out. It's working out fine, but it's just another burden to him.
.Mike is a money guy. He's an Accountant, it's in his blood. So when the economy starts getting all crazy, he gets tense. Here's the thing: we are very blessed to have rental homes (Mike's 2 previous houses...the one he had when we got married and the one he had straight out of college) but if Mike could have it his way, we'd sell them, take the money and sock it away somewhere. But we would take a huge loss selling either house in this market, so we continue renting them out. It's working out fine, but it's just another burden to him.
Given all of this, I've been making some changes over the last few months. I've seen some amazing savings tips on different blogs and I'm always up on the latest sales because of Money Saving Mom. Love it.
.In fact, because of her blog, I got into the CVS game. Does anyone else shop at CVS Pharmacy? I used to only get my prescriptions there because they always seemed to have $25 gift card coupons if you filled a new prescription with them. I'd use the gift cards to pay the co-pay for future prescriptions and that saved us money here and there.
.But there is much more to CVS than meets the eye. This post gives the details on their savings program and if you have further questions about it, read this post. The short version is that when you buy certain products, you get extra cash back (ECBs) toward future shopping trips. Back in July, I spent $20 on my first shopping trip and have shopped there weekly since then, never spending more than a dollar. No joke. Buying toothpaste, deoderant, diapers, stuff that I'd buy anyway, using newspaper coupons stacked on top of their ECBs, plus they'll randomly give out $4 off a $20 purchase coupons...it's really crazy. I have no idea how they make money. (Actually, I think I do...it's a part of the drug industry's conspiracy, I'm sure!)
.
.
I digress. I have gotten tons of free stuff going to CVS, which I thought was saving us a bunch of money. I've also been using Diapers.com for cheaper diapers. They have free shipping on orders over $49, so it's convenient, too. (for a $10 coupon off your first order, use the code: KatieRoose) And I've been doing the produce co-op. And consolidating errands to save gas. And meal planning.
.Let's stop there for a minute. I'm meal planning, yes. But I'm not tailoring it to our budget and I think that's the problem. I basically take inventory of our food and plan our meals for the upcoming week with it. I saw a suggestion once to not make the protein the "star" of the meal (so instead of doing a whole chicken breast per person and 1/2 each for the kids, use only one chicken breast and put it in a casserole or stir fry or something like that) and another idea to work in a vegetarian meal or two into the meal plan. I did that and figured it had to help our bottom line along the way, right?
.
OH - and get this: somehow during these last few months, I've managed to gain 7 pounds. And Mike's been complaining about his waistline, too. What's going on here??? My first thought was that, somewhere along the way, we must have increased our portion sizes. I can see this happening because I've been trying new, healthy recipes and some of them are delicious, but even healthy recipes have calories. This could also be directly related to our budget: if I make a meal intended for the four of us intending to have some leftovers and we end up eating it all, well...the extra meal is gone and we've retained all of the calories. Lovely.
..
OH - and get this: somehow during these last few months, I've managed to gain 7 pounds. And Mike's been complaining about his waistline, too. What's going on here??? My first thought was that, somewhere along the way, we must have increased our portion sizes. I can see this happening because I've been trying new, healthy recipes and some of them are delicious, but even healthy recipes have calories. This could also be directly related to our budget: if I make a meal intended for the four of us intending to have some leftovers and we end up eating it all, well...the extra meal is gone and we've retained all of the calories. Lovely.
I read on another blog recently that you should only buy food on your shopping list when at the grocery store and I think that's where I'm failing. I routinely shop at Trader Joe's, Costco and Super Walmart. I have the "regular" things I buy, but I'll admit there's lots of impulse buying going on. I'll grab some chicken mango sausage at TJs to throw in the freezer or a quick-fix item to have "just in case." Then the higher priced items are ready to go when I need them, but I'm not taking their cost into consideration when meal planning. It seems like so much more work to think about the total cost of our meals each week and pay attention to every little thing, but I'm starting to realize that it's a necessary evil.
.
I'm rambling...my point is this: I thought I've been saving us money, but I haven't. Mike asked me to compare our grocery spending in Quicken from recent months to earlier this year and it's almost identical. Within $20-30 per month, even compared to February thru April, way before I started being really careful. Granted, I should be thrilled since food prices have increased 17% lately, but I'm not. I was positive I was saving us big bucks. Of course, I never actually looked at it on paper, so I was wrong. (*sigh*)So I'm feeling frustrated. And overwhelmed at the thought of adding dollar amounts to our meals to make them fit our budget. On Money Saving Mom, she once mentioned that she spends roughly $40 per week on groceries for her family of four. No joke. Her breakfasts and lunches are about $.25-.50 per meal per person and dinners are around $1-$1.50 per person. A maximum of $2 per day for each person's food and household items!
.Knowing that we eat either an apple ($.50 each at TJs) or a Kashi granola bar (one per person) almost every day for a morning snack, and that they're just under $3 for a box of 6 - so $.50 each, I was shocked that I was spending more on a snack than she spends on a whole person's meal. (she's dealing with new-pregnancy morning sickness and has recently increased her weekly budget from $40 to $70 so she can buy more convenience foods...check out this post for some of her meal suggestions with her "increased" grocery spending)
.All that said, I'm motivated to decrease our grocery budget. Without sacrificing our healthy-eating ways. Oh man, this is going to take a lot of brain cells. Does anyone have any tips or guidance because I don't really know where to start!












8 comments:
I know where you are coming from. I started the coupon and CVS thing a few months ago and really was saving money, but we were eating a lot more junk. I decided to get serious about eating healthy and I'm spending more that I used to spend. I'm trying to cut stuff out, but so far it just costs more to eat healthy.(I'm eating 6 small meals a day that consist of a good carb and protein) If you get any good advice, please share.
I so wish I could give you some fantastic ideas, but living in a place where gas costs over $8/gallon and our income tax is 42% ... well, let's just say I do what I can to save money but then after a while just stick my head in the sand and pretend things aren't as painful as they really are (no such thing as coupons over here, either).
Best of luck!
xoxoxoxoxo
Interesting post...I could really see myself over-spending if I shopped at multiple stores. Especially at the pretty and enticing places like Trader Joe's, where it's so easy to add impulse buys to the cart.
One suggestion that came to mind... if you've just prepared a large meal with the intention of having leftovers, wrap up half of the dish and put it in the fridge/freezer for later, before you even serve dinner. It would be much less tempting to dish out more if it was already put away. I'm not sure if that would work for you, but it couldn't hurt!
And good for you for mastering the CVS thing...I've read about that before and it just made me tired.
The CVS thing makes me tired, too, Chandra. But I think I'll give it another shot.
I'm more of the mindset of not entering TJ's, unless absolutely necessary. I find myself eyeing the candy and alcohol. The last time I went in for some multi-grain baking mix it took EVERYTHING I had to stick with the box of baking mix. I made it though. And I carry cash. So, if I don't have the cash, I'm not buying it. And all those other things would have made me bring out the debit cards.
Somedays are better than others, but I love the cash system. It really works for my family. And it's more in line of the "financial picture on paper" thing. If you don't have the paper, you don't have the money! :)
Oooh, another thought.
Instead of killing yourself tryin to find ways to save in an area you feel you've pretty much exhausted, why not branch out and see if there are other areas you could save instead? I still swear by the 'hang your clothes outside rather than the electricity-guzzling tumble dryer' method. And I'm so jealous of you being in AZ for that! Seriously, I bet your clothes would dry in LESS time outside than in your dryer.
Anyway, just a thought. Maybe there are ways you can save in electricity, water, gas (driving all over the city to the 'cheap' stores costing more in gas than you save?), etc. Be creative! See what other areas you can think of.
Good luck!
I just hate how it costs more to eat healthy than junky!
Good for you on the CVSing! I quit that because it wasn't worth the headache for me, but you have disposable diapers to buy and a bigger family, too.
I seriously think that my family of just 3 must eat twice as much as MSM's family of 4!!! I don't know how she does it! I guess I have to remember that they do not consumer nearly as much dairy as we do. I don't know if that is good or bad?
Also remember that groceries may just cost more where you live...
One thing I try to do is if have have a more expensive meal, then I try to balance it out with a less expensive meal at another point in the week. And I have a strict list when I go to the store... not as fun that way, though. :)
If you can eat healthier and keep things simpler and spend just $20 more a month, I'd say do it!
Just find what works for you - it's an ongoing experiment for me, too! :)
Since my hubby's job has been in the crapper all year (real estate), we have had to be super careful.
One thing I have found...is that we don't shop at Costco...ever...except for paper products like TP, Diaper Wipes, and Paper Towels.
We have saved a lot of money by staying out of Costco. So much of their produce, frozen food, etc...is all very overpriced as compared to getting it on sale at the grocery store.
So maybe look at what you are buying at Costco...I'm sure you guys will do fine.
What I wouldn't give to have houses with rental income...but I share your frustration with the stress of it.
:)
The Maid
We've started a once-a-month-cooking group that makes each meal at around $5/family of four...give or take a little depending on the recipe. We have some amazing shoppers who get really good deals. We use our church's kitchen, so we get it done quickly with all the professional, large-capacity equipment. And our church is willing to order stuff for us from Sysco (a restaurant food supply company that delivers weekly). I'm excited to find out how much more we can save by ordering some of our ingredients through them!
We have a great time cooking together and then blessing our families with delicious, home-cooked meals that we won't have to spend time preparing every afternoon in the kitchen. Oh, and we're done in 4 hours when we make 12 meals per family! Many of us split the meals when we get home before freezing them, since 2 chicken breasts feed 2 adults and 2 preschoolers (they don't need much meat). So that even further reduces the price per meal.
You should try it Katie!
Post a Comment