Sunday, September 21, 2008

Five Layer Mexican Bean Dip

There are a gazillion variations to this and, over the years, it has been one of the standard pot-luck dishes that I bring. I actually saw an interesting, healthier version on Healthy Appetite a few months ago, but I was out of black beans yesterday, so I combined some of her ideas with my tried-and-true recipe and came up with this yummy little number. The corn added a bit of filler (and although starchy, it IS a vegatable) and it was a nice burst of flavor. My brother in law swore he could taste the difference between the yogurt and the sour cream, but he's not used to healthy eating, so I think it just psyched him out. I thought it was a great substitution and couldn't tell the difference at all.

Mexican Layered Bean Dip
1 - 15oz. can refried beans
1/2 cup mayonaise (not Miracle Whip)
1/2 cup sour cream OR plain yogurt (not vanilla or any other flavor)
2-3 t. taco seasoning (or 1/2 of a packet)
2 t. olive oil
1/2 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic
2 cup frozen corn
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
3 medium tomatoes, seeded and diced
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese (or Mexican blend)

  • Spread the beans evenly over the bottom of an 8x8 or glass pie dish.
  • Combine mayo, sour cream or yogurt and taco seasoning. Spread over the bean layer.
  • Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook 3 minutes until softened. Add the garlic and corn and heat through, about 3 more minutes. Remove from heat and add the cilantro, sprinkling the mixture over the sour cream layer.
  • Evenly sprinkle the diced tomatoes, then finally the shredded cheese on top.
  • Chill before serving with tortilla chips.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails