All weekend, I've been meaning to post that Roger the turtle ran away from home on Thursday. Mike and the kids have checked morning, noon and night under every bush and hiding place in the backyard for 3 days and we finally decided yesterday that he flew the coup. I was a little concerned that we'd pull back the pool cover this weekend to find him at the bottom of the pool, but thankfully, no turtle. (actually, he's a desert tortoise and tortoises don't swim, so he would sink to the bottom for sure!)
Then tonight, out of no where, he returned! Mike and his dad were grilling whe
n they saw Roger toddling across the rocks near our gate. I gave him some squash and a couple of strawberries and he scarfed them down. The poor guy was starving! It was quite a reunion. The kids were thrilled. I have to admit, that party pooper Mommy was a little disappointed that we're now back to cleaning up turtle poo. And wow, do they GO! A friend pointed it out in the yard last Monday and that little guy sure lays it out there...in piles half the size of his body. Ew.
But welcome home, dear Roger. The family has missed you (honestly, Mike even more than the rest of us...) and we hope you stay. The grass wasn't greener on the other side of the gate, huh? It doesn't matter. We welcome you home with open arms. I can't say I'm going to adorn him with a colorful robe or rings for his...claws. And I don't have a fattened calf. Just squash and strawberries. I'm sure it's better than what he ate in the desert.












No comments:
Post a Comment