Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Earning Money Through Extra Chores



I mentioned a few months ago that I was struggling with the idea of paying Ryan to do extra chores around the house. I'm a big believer in doing what you're told with a happy heart, whether you get paid or not.

But just before Halloween, Ryan was determined to earn extra money for his Darth Vader mask, so I came up with a few things for him to do. 

I paid him $1 to sweep the patio and watched, with pride, as he dragged each item to the grass, swept the concrete diligently, then put everything back even more orderly than he found it. The job took him quite a while and he was very proud of his work.

It was at that moment that I saw the value in paying him for chores above and beyond what is currently expected of him. I also decided to add the disclaimer that jobs done incorrectly will not be paid in full. I can foresee this becoming a problem in the future and just want to nip that in the bud right away.

Here's the list I put together:
$.50 Fold Laundry
$.50 Clean Back Glass Door
$.50 Sweep Front Porch
$1 Sweep Back Porch
$1 Sweep Garage
$5 Mow the Lawn
$.50 Help someone with their chores (without being asked)
$.25 Bring Laundry Downstairs
$.25 Read 15 Minutes Extra
$1 Mop Kitchen
$.25 Pick Up Toys (without being asked)
$.25 per chair - Wipe Down Kitchen Chairs
$1 Wipe One Room's Baseboards
$.25 per room - Vacuum
$.50 Loading Dishwasher (without being asked)
$.50 Empty Dishwasher (without being asked)

It took me a while to come up with this list, considering the fact that we pretty much have the daily and weekly chores taken care of around here. I looked online for some inspiration, then typed the list up with cute graphics, laminated them and put them on a jump ring to hang for easy access. 

When the kids want to earn some extra money, why wouldn't I allow them to take a little work off my plate??? These are all tasks that I am overwhelmed with (constant dishes and laundry) or that I avoid (exterior sweeping and wiping kitchen chairs or baseboards).

I think this system is gonna work out just fine.
post signature

1 comment:

Julie said...

I too struggled with paying our 5 yo for doing chores around the house - because I don't want her to expect to be paid for everything she's asked to do around here. But we too recently came up with a list of extra chores for her to do on a weekly basis. It's only the second week of the new system but I'm enjoying the reduction in my work load. (and my kitchen floor will be mopped on a much more regular basis now!)

Related Posts with Thumbnails