Shopping with all three kids every. single. time. can be a bit challenging. Shopping with the younger two used to be hard enough, but adding in my very talkative, always-asking-a-million-questions and touching-everything-in-sight 7-year old quickly becomes...exhausting.
But I have to grocery shop - it's part of my job description. And I'm not often available (or willing) to run errands after the kids are in bed. So a solution was necessary.
Do you remember this summer when I observed the mom at Trader Joe's? Her oldest daughter was pushing one cart with the food while she pushed another cart carrying most of the children. And the five (FIVE) kids, all under eight years old, were perfect little angels.
Lately, I've been copying her idea. It hasn't resulted in perfect angels while I shop, but there has been a significant improvement. Having Ryan push a cart keeps his hands busy and he stays involved with the shopping process instead of getting bored and asking a gazillion questions.
Yesterday, we went to Walmart. I usually dread Walmart because it's big and I generally only go there when I need odds and ends from (seemingly) every department. I've tried the carts with the seats in the front for the big kids, but Jason's new hobby is kicking everyone when I'm preoccupied and pulling Kaylin's hair to get attention. So, no more handy mom carts for our family!
Instead, I pushed a cart holding Jason in the front and Kaylin in the bed of the cart. Kaylin had the shopping list and a pen, crossing off each item as it was put into Ryan's cart. Ryan and I worked on comparing prices and finding the best deals on like items in different sized packages. (way to sneak in math, right?)
I also prepped the kids in the parking lot before we went inside: each child could ask three questions. Period. We also talked about being content and having our "wanter" under control, not asking, "Can I..." or saying, "I want..."
This chat was probably the main reason the trip was successful. Everyone knew what to expect before entering the store, plus I thought enough to find ways to keep each child's hands busy.
It was a beautiful thing.












No comments:
Post a Comment