Today's idea piggie-backs onto the Christmas traditions idea post from yesterday. The first year Ryan was born, I found some cute picture frame ornaments and filled them as gifts for both grandparents. I thought enough to buy myself one, too, and so the tradition began.
Each year, I take my favorite picture of each of my kids and put it in a photo frame ornament to hang on our tree. I've tried to find frames that have the year on them, otherwise I use rub-ons from my scrapbooking supplies and put the year on the back. The kids LOVED finding their pictures on the tree last year. They'd search the tree, find them, and just stare in awe...it was hilarious.

Here is another cute idea: a great way to document your kids' annual wish lists using a spool of thread. (pictured on the right)
I also love this idea from Becky Higgins. It's more complicated than buying a pre-made frame ornament, and my life doesn't need more complications right now! Maybe I'll attempt these later in life. I know, they look easy enough for a crafty person like myself, but I'm intimidated for some reason...
One more idea for you: I can't remember when I started this, but I have resigned to make my vacation souvenirs all Christmas ornaments. My first trip to Phoenix resulted in an ornament of Santa with a cowboy hat, standing next to a cactus. I have a double decker bus from London, a Scottie dog from Scotland, Santa wearing a hula skirt and playing a hand drum from Hawaii, my tree is full of vacation memories. It's fun decorating the tree each year and strolling down memory lane...
Do YOU have a meaningful ornament idea to share? Tell us in the comments!














4 comments:
I love homemade ornaments! I'm going to borrow these ideas for my chickies. We make ornaments every year and then they also pick out one at the store to document their biggest interest that year. Such wonderful memories each year as we decorate the tree!
Thanks for letting me visit!
I'm with you on the vacation ornaments. We try and buy one new ornament each year that is meaningful to that year. Last year we bought a pastel pink elephant because it was the year Emery was born and Amelia thought she would like it. This year we picked up a Mickey Mouse ears ornament at Disneyland.
Also, we have 2 trees. We have a "fancy" tree where everything coordinates and we have a "family" tree full of our personal ornaments. That way I get my fancy fix and the my house is a home fix all at the same time!
We started buying Kiddo an ornament every year since the year he was born. His birthday is only 12 days before Christmas, so he was just a tee-tiney thing his first Christmas! We have "Baby's first Christmas" ornaments all the way up to Superman. He loves getting them all out and remembering when he got each one (even though he thinks he remembers every one, I know he doesn't, but I'm not gonna tell him that!).
I LOVE that spool idea!
Cute ideas!
:)
Post a Comment