Friday, November 14, 2008

12 Days of Christmas - Day 1: Christmas Photos

Yes, I know it's still November, but people...it's time to start thinking about Christmas!!! (if you want to add a cool Christmas countdown icon like I have onto your blog, or any kind of a countdown for that matter, click here)

For the next 12 days (taking you to Thanksgiving, just in time for Black Friday) I will be posting something fun and Christmas-y; maybe a tip, a challenge, a list of ideas or a recipe...stay tuned every day.

Today's challenge is to start thinking about your family Christmas picture for 2008. If you haven't set something up with a professional photographer, the good ones may be all booked up, but don't fret. I've included a family picture in my cards every year and they've always been taken by someone in my family. Chances are, you have a friend or family member who's qualified to take a picture, too! But it's not that easy...

Here's a checklist for getting a half-decent family picture for your Christmas card this year:
  1. Put some thought into what everyone will wear. It doesn't have to match, everyone doesn't need to wear red and green, but try to coordinate colors a bit. If this doesn't work out the way you planned and the pictures come back with a horrible color but the perfect picture, consider printing them in black and white.
  2. Think of a few different opportunities to have a mini photo shoot. One great time is Thankgiving. Your family might be dressed up(ish) and at the very least you'll be showered and likely wearing some eye make up.
  3. If holidays are too stressful, consider borrowing a neighbor to fill in as a photographer for 15 minutes on a Sunday afternoon. It's best, however, to not only have a photographer, but an assistant who's willing to bounce around behind the cameraman, trying to keep your kids' attention and potentially getting them to even SMILE.
  4. That's another thing: timing is everything. Not only do you want to make sure that the mini-photo shoot isn't right before naptime or a main meal (so the kids don't melt down) - if you want professional-quality lighting, consider taking the picture outdoors, either on an overcast day, in a shaded area, or at dusk, looking away from the sun (so no one is squinting). The lighting is very complimentary and natural-looking.
  5. Once you're dressed, outside at dusk, and the camera and photographer are ready to go...make sure you're equipment is working! Be sure the battery is charged and there's plenty of memory left in your card.
  6. Ask the photographer to take multiple shots, even if they think they got "the good one." I've mentioned before my secret to getting "so many" good pictures of my kids...I take a TON of pictures! It's nice to have a few decent shots to choose from.
  7. If the kids aren't interested in sitting still, begin the photo shoot with pictures of just you and your spouse. We did that last year by accident (I didn't have a recent picture of us alone) and it killed Ryan. "Can I be in the picture? Is it my turn yet?" By the time it WAS his turn, he stood up tall and proud with a huge smile, looking right into the camera. Then all my mom needed to worry about was getting Kaylin to grin.
  8. While the photographer is doing their thing, all grown family members should remain looking at the camera and smiling. I have a few very cute pictures of everyone in my family, except me, because I'm looking down at one of the kids, begging them to cooperate.
  9. Don't dispair if you can't get a shot of everyone looking at the camera and smiling. Some of the sweetest pictures are of families where the kids are looking at each other or hamming it up, as kids their age do. No one will judge you...they'll only empathize!
  10. Two words: Re. Lax. Relax and enjoy the experience. I caught myself once in the middle of getting a picture of my kids together. I was so anxious and uptight, snapping at them to sit still, keep their hands off their face, look at me, sit still again...I realized I was going to raise them to HATE getting photographed and that scared me silent!
My advice is completely from an amateur's perspective, so if you want REAL tips, check out 12 Tips to Taking Great Group Photos. Simple Mom also posted some additional tips and site resources earlier this week. AND just for fun...

Christmas 2003 - This was on a perfectly lit, overcast day in London. I cropped most of the flowers out of the final picture because, let's face it, the scenery was beautiful, but people like seeing YOU in your Christmas picture, not the background! So don't be afraid to get in CLOSE.


Christmas 2004 - Inside, rushed, right before bedtime. What do you expect with a baby, though, really? He wasn't crying, so I considered it a success.


Christmas 2005 - too dark, no fill-flash, sky behind too bright (for the final product, I lightened this, zoomed way in, cropped it and made it B&W)


Christmas 2006 - Again the sky behind was too bright...our faces were in the shade, and we did use a flash, but the bright background is distracting. I cropped this way down, too.


Christmas 2007 - This was the best shot yet! I had this on my wall for almost a year. The staggered look with Ryan standing behind us (even though he grabbed a handful of my hair) is very appealing to the eye.

Christmas 2008 - This could be it, or we may try for a better shot in a week or two. Especially now that my hair is darker. We'll see!


3 comments:

Melissa Martin said...

Very nice shot! I just picked up a couple of hot pink Santa hats and antlers for the dog to wear for the picture. My SIL takes awesome pictures and has a great camera so I'm going to get her over here to take some shots.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Related Posts with Thumbnails