Monday, August 18, 2008

My windows have been mistreated

I would hardly call these "window treatments," but I can't wait to show off what I've been doing over the last week.

If you're looking for something cheap-ish, quick-ish and easy (I don't sew, so these were right up my ally) to do to your windows, this is it. Last weekend, I noticed some cornice boxes in my friend Cathy's kitchen. She briefly told me how she did them and I was on a mission. As early as the next morning. They were all done a week later!

Saturday: I bought the fabric and batting
Sunday: I spent an hour at Lowe's (with a total of 7 men working together to help me...they just love a damsel in distress who's doing a project involving wood)
Sunday afternoon: Mike connected the side pieces to the longer pieces
Monday: Cathy came over with her staple gun to help me attach the fabric to the wood
Friday: my mom brought over some extra chocolate brown fabric to add some detail (and to cover up a cutting error...) to the downstairs cornices
Saturday: Mike hung them all up

The process of making these seemed really quick and easy, likely because I never spent more than an hour doing any one step. Materials include: wood (Lowe's or Home Depot will do all of the cuts for you), L-brackets, screws, fabric, batting, staples for the staple gun. That's it!!!

In my craft room (click on the picture to see the fun stitching)...

In the family room...

A different accent in the kitchen, but similar concept...
If you want to recreate these, measure the width of your window plus about 3 inches on each side for the length of the cornice and cut 2 side pieces that are 3-6 inches wide. (I did 6" and think they stick out a little too much, but Mike had plenty of room to move around with his drill when hanging them) Next, I'm going to use this gray-blue and chocolate brown fabric to do something to our office window...but I need a creative break, so it will be a while. (can you tell I'm into brown???)

21 comments:

Carry Grace said...

Katie, these turned out great! I love them.

Anonymous said...

Georgous! Don't you just love when a simple and cheap project goes just right?!?!? Well done!

Kristen said...

I wandered over from The Nester's place and these look fantastic! I've been looking for something to do in my dining area...I just might have to try this!

Anonymous said...

You did wonderful!!! they are stunning!!!

Amanda said...

lovely! what great colors! You did good.

Kelly @ The Barefoot Mama said...

Hey Katie!

Your cornice boards are fab! I love your choice of fabric adn LOL about damsel in distress. :o)

P.S. Love your blog title (I'm a redhead and so is my daugher!).

Lamp Tramp said...

Very nice, Love the browns!

Nichole said...

Very nice, love your fabric!!

frillsfluffandtrucks said...

Wow, you were busy--you got a lot done in a weekend!

~ Sarah

Emily said...

Wow, I'm impressed! I really like the fabrics you used, too!

Bonita said...

Very nice work!

April said...

Katie they turned out so cute! I have been thinking about doing this for my bedroom but wasn't sure how easy it was. Glad you tested the idea out! Ha!

Anonymous said...

Snazzy! They turned out great. I love the look of a cornice board, but we have shutter, so they are not practical in my house.

Oh, I love brown, too. :)

-- Brandi

sassy seamstress said...

love the gray blue and chocolate...can't wait to see what you do with that.

oh, and "i will be here" was my wedding song as well.

Jane said...

I love the twisted brown fabric accents. Nicely done!

Raquel said...

these look awesome! good job! i am not sure i could do this it would never look that great

Anonymous said...

Wow - they look amazing - great job!

Ladybug's Mom said...

Quick question, how wide are the cornice boards? This seems so easy and looks fabulous.

Anonymous said...

Great job! They really dress up a room don't they!
Toni

The Maid said...

The rooms in my home where we have done cornice boards look so polished and "model home" like. It makes me wonder why we didn't do it in the other rooms! :)

Good job!

And wow...20 comments. You are rocking the blog world now!

Anonymous said...

Love them - so classy!

Related Posts with Thumbnails