Saturday, October 20, 2012

Jason's 3rd Birthday - Airplanes!


Our adorable Jason is turning three. And to celebrate, I paired two of his favorite things for his party: airplanes and the color orange. (Every night at dinner, he ends his prayer with "...and thank you, God, that I get to go on an airplane someday.")
The Evite read...
Arrival: 10:28am
Departure: 12:04pm
Gate: The Park
Fly on over and join us to celebrate Jason turning THREE!  Consider this your online boarding pass for a party of outdoor fun.  Passengers are allowed to carry on parents and siblings. In flight lunch and cake will be served. Your reservation may be subject to cancellation if you do not respond to your booking agent by 10/15/12 to confirm travel.
We arrived early at the park to set up...the weather was beautiful!
"The Drink Cart" - Hi-C orange drink boxes for the kids, Crush and V8 Splash for the grown ups. Orange, orange and more orange.
I got this idea from this site. So adorable and not nearly as difficult as they seem. The dads were the most impressed by these little creations. 
"In Flight Service" = trail mix. I was going to do just peanuts, but raisins and M&Ms add a little something extra.
"Baggage Claim" - Party favors were giant bubbles, wooden airplanes and whirly birds.
Airplane-shaped PB&J and boring triangle ham & cheese (because I wasn't going to torture myself further by attempting to shape the ham sandwiches into planes. See this post for details from that fiasco) Our orange food included: Doritos, carrot sticks and cheese puffs. I skipped out on the orange slices because sticky hands + sandy playground = a mess!

We had some outdoor games, footballs and nerf guns to play with. We also had a paper airplane making station that I forgot to take pictures of. The dads had fun comparing their flight creations.
But who needs organized games when you have "race down the hill 1,000 times"?
Jason did unusually well opening gifts in front of the crowd.  I made Ryan open his gifts after his 3rd birthday party, expecting overstimulation and meltdowns. Jason even opened the cards and showed the crowd of kids the picture on the front and inside, like he was reading a story. Too cute!
Ryan asked to spray his hair blue to go with the orange and blue theme. We had some leftover from crazy hair day a couple years back. Notice his orange mustache...that won't come off for days, I'm sure.
The party was a success! Since Jason doesn't have many little buddies of his own, it was just a great excuse to invite our closest friends to hang out, have lunch and sing Happy Birthday to our big boy. A fun time was had by all!
post signature

5 comments:

The DutchMac Tribe said...

I am sooooo stealing that '3' cake for Kitty Kat's birthday! But bundt pans aren't easy to find here....maybe she'll have a rice krispie treat cake instead. :-) And I do bunny sandwiches for Easter every year but have never thought to freeze the bread for easier cutting. What a great tip!

Can you come do a themed birthday party for me next month? No, not for either of my kids...for me! ;-)

Bridget said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bridget said...

Looks like a fun party Katie! Looked like you worked really hard to make it just right! Great job!

Lynn said...

I have a 3 year old who loves orange too! So we just had a very orange Dora party last month.

I love all of your adorable details! I understand your feeling about cutting sandwiches into shapes. This summer we did a 1 year old owl party and I made owl shaped turkey sandwiches. Can't say that I'd necessarily do it again, though they were cute.

Project31_livehappy said...

Those little airplanes are super cute! It looks like it was a fun party. You can tell you put a lot of effort into it.

Related Posts with Thumbnails