Friday, March 4, 2011

Day 4: The Master Bathroom



I have to admit that I wasn't too thrilled about starting this project today.  It's been a rough week with the kids, I haven't been sleeping well and I have a lot on my mind.  During nap time, I wanted to relax.

But, thanks to your wonderful accountability and the intense fear that I'd fall behind on my own self-inflicted daily spring cleaning schedule, I set the timer for 15 minutes and got to work.

As soon as I took a couple quick "before" pictures, I realized that I didn't have much work to do.  There were some expired medicines and cosmetics that needed to be thrown away and definitely some organization that needed to be done, but I worked quickly with the goal of beating the timer. 

With the exception of pulling everything out of each drawer and wiping them down, I finished our bathroom in record time.   I had such a sense of accomplishment and felt NO guilt about for relaxing the rest of the afternoon.

Before - under the sinks
After - not much difference, but I did remove some items and refold the toppling towel tower!
Before - Our drawers of backup toiletries that I buy when they're on sale.
After - Left drawer is morning items, middle drawer is shower stuff and the right drawer is cosmetics.  I followed my own advice and put all of the razors in a small white basket and threw out the original packaging.
Last year, I repurposed this unused plate rack to hold my headbands and hair stuff.  When I need it for company, I dump the stuff off, clean the plates, use it for the day and store it back upstairs in our bathroom. Much prettier than collecting dust in the linen closet!
After my first completely unmotivated day, my encouragement to you is this: just get started!  Even if you feel like you only have enough energy to do one corner of the space, once you begin, you might be motivated to keep at it.  And if the timer goes off before you're done and you have no desire to keep going, stop without guilt!  You'll be pleased with what you did get organized and you can move on with your day.

Please remember to link your blog post below!

post signature

1 comment:

Jamie said...

Thank you for this. Only the first couple days and I've been feeling overwhelmed. I like the idea you mentioned about actually setting a timer. What a great idea! You are truly an inspiration. Thanks again! ~Jamie

Related Posts with Thumbnails