Monday, March 21, 2011

Day 15: The Kitchen - Pantry/Dry Food


The "before" pictures of my pantry felt pretty boring to me, so I'm just including the after pictures today. I seem to rearrange my pantry after nearly every mega-grocery trip, so it typically looks decent. I did wipe down all of the shelves, reorganize a few items and throw away some random ketchup packets.



I've already shared my must-have list of pantry items, but for my new readers (or for your review) I'll list everything again.

Must-have list of pantry staples:
- baking items: unbleached flour, whole wheat flour, bread flour, sugar, brown sugar, powdered sugar, chocolate chips, corn meal, cocoa and yeast. Plus I always stock up on stuff like brownie mix, cake mix and frosting when they're on sale to bring to parties and pot lucks if I'm in a hurry.
- old fashioned oats
- dry cereal: Cheerios, Kashi Go Lean and whatever other low-sugar cereals are on sale
- nuts: raw almonds, chopped walnuts, pine nuts
- lentils and dried beans: black, white and kidney
- raisins and dried cranberries
- granola bars
- tuna
- a jar for desserts
- pretzels
- crackers (usually Triscuits)
- raw agave nectar and honey
- spaghetti sauce
- canned tomatoes
- canned tomatoes with green chiles
- canned green chiles (usually two cans, unless on sale)
- canned evaporated milk (usually one can, unless on sale)
- canned sweetened condensed milk (usually one can, unless on sale)
- pasta: penne, spaghetti, bow ties (all whole wheat)
- dry brown rice
- taco seasoning
- oils: olive, canola, sesame seed oil
- vinegars: balsamic, apple cider, white rice
- whey protein powder (for smoothies)

In my spice cabinet, I keep on hand:
- olive oil spray
- canola oil spray
- salt
- pepper
- red pepper flakes
- garlic powder
- cumin
- Italian seasoning
- dried parsley
- dried basil
- chili powder
- corn starch
- kosher salt
- cinnamon
- baking soda
- baking powder
- nutmeg
- pure vanilla extract

I have some shelves in the back of the pantry that used to hold paper products (cups, napkins, plates) but has recently become my Tastefully Simple section.  Since starting the Spring Cleaning Challenge, I signed up to be a consultant and now find myself with tons of supplies that I need on-hand for upcoming taste-testing parties.  I pulled out an unused package of IKEA bins and put them right to work.
Before - the newly created Tastefully Simple shelf

After - added some IKEA bins to separate different items...so much more organized!!!

I've also shared pictures of my "lunch box" shelf, but here it is again.  This makes it really easy for Ryan to pack his lunch on days that I'm running behind.  On Sundays, I prepare sandwiches for the week and pack snack-sized Ziplocks with pretzels and desserts so he can grab-and-go.

For additional pantry before and after inspiration, see when I last rearranged in September and the post where I helped a friend makeover her massive pantry here. (her after pictures still make me giddy)

Feel free to link up below!
post signature
Related Posts with Thumbnails