Thursday, March 3, 2011

Day 3: The Master Closet/Dressers

Even though I just cleaned my closet last spring, I was able to spend some productive time decluttering for today's assignment of the Spring Cleaning Challenge.

Does anyone remember back in November when I shared the tip about turning your hangers backward?  Well, it's been almost a year since I did that, and all clothes that were still on backward hangers are officially in the donation pile.  My closet seems so clear and empty now!  It's a great feeling.

A few years ago, I found some baskets on sale at a craft store and use them for my bras and underwear.  I had the extra shelf space and hated walking past my closet to get to my dresser to put on my unmentionables each day.  So I streamlined the process and never need to leave the closet when I get dressed!


I also have my maternity clothes stored in linen boxes...in hopes that we choose to expand our family someday. They're on that random, dust-collecting shelf in between the top and bottom hanger racks.


In the empty space above my hangers, I keep bins of items to sell on Craigslist or at a garage sale.  This made it really handy to participate in my mom's garage sale last fall; I just loaded the bins into my van and headed over to her house!


Are you ready to get started on your own closet?  It's likely an abyss of past and current fashions which cost you thousands of dollars. That makes it that much more painful to go through, right?

Most of us have way too many clothes.  The general rule for sorting through your closet is this: if you haven't worn it in a year, pass it on.

Begin by weeding through your clothes and shoes.  Be brutal. If you hope to lose some weight and want to keep your skinny jeans, fine.  Keep one pair, not 10.  Once you lose those pesky pounds, you can reward yourself with a few new outfits (ahem...that are currently in style) that will last you a lot longer than your skinny jeans from 2007.

Another tip is to be efficient: Don't pile everything high on your bed to fold and sort through later...that's twice the work.  Start with a donation box/bin and a garage sale box/bin and neatly put the items directly where they belong.  It's also handy to keep a trash can nearby to throw away clothes with stains, rips or tears.

Obviously, you will want to hold onto some things if you've been pregnant in the last year, but I had kept clothes from before I was pregnant with Ryan 7 years ago and, I promise you, those styles are long gone.  Jeans are lower, skirts are shorter, tops are longer...I had to say, "ba-bye" to many unworn outfits. 

Today's challenge isn't only for your closet...remember to go through your dresser and go through your husband's clothes, too.  (because you know HE won't do it!) 

OH - and don't forget to turn all of your hangers backward once you're done with your closet!  It will make sorting through your clothes so much easier this time next year.  Trust me - you'll be surprised at what you don't wear.  I know I was!

(Remember to add your link below when you've posted before/after pictures on your blog!)
post signature

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails