Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Day 16: The Kitchen - Fridge/Freezer

Today's assignment for the "31 Days to Clean" Spring Cleaning Challenge didn't take long, considering I'm only eating from my food stash through March.  My shelves are getting pretty empty!  I just cleared off each shelf or drawer, one at a time, and cleaned them with soap and water in the sink.  The fridge is so sparkly clean now...I love it!
Before - fridge side
After - not much different, but much cleaner!
Before - freezer side
After - again, not much difference, but a little more organized!
I tend to cook the same recipes over and over, so I like to keep a stock of certain things in my fridge and freezer.

What's always in my FRIDGE?
- organic milk (whole for Jason, skim for me and 1% for everyone else)
- bread
- eggs
- butter (both spreadable and sticks for baking)
- condiments (peanut butter, jelly, mayo, ketchup, mustard, relish, salad dressing, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, pesto, salsa)
- plain yogurt
- seasonal whole fruit (always apples, plus whatever we get at the co-op, and bananas are usually on the counter)
- washed and cut up fruit (for easy snacking)
- unsweetened applesauce
- deli turkey
- sliced cheese
- shredded cheese
- feta cheese
- shredded parmesan cheese
- garlic
- onions
- seasonal vegetables (zucchini, broccoli, celery, corn on the cob, etc.)
- salad ingredients (lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, carrots, etc.)
- flax seeds (I grind them up and put in oatmeal and smoothies)
- usually a couple of containers of leftovers


(minced garlic from Trader Joe's)
What's always in my FREEZER?
- minced garlic, cilantro and basil cubes
- chopped onion
- chopped celery
- raw chicken breasts
- ground beef
- ground turkey
- salmon
- leftover grilled chicken, chopped
- cooked ground beef/turkey (sometimes a combo)
- cooked beans (black, white and kidney, stored separately)
- frozen vegetables (broccoli, green beans, corn and peas, plus leftovers from the co-op)
- frozen fruit for smoothies (strawberries, blueberries, pineapple, bananas)
- homemade chicken broth, portioned out
- homemade bread crumbs
- heels from bread in a zipper bag, waiting to be made into bread crumbs
- pureed vegetables to add to sauces and casseroles (things that my family doesn't normally eat: spinach, squash, sweet potatoes, cauliflower, kale, etc.)
- extra fresh items that I don't want to spoil (bread, butter, cheese, etc. - I freeze almost everything)

If you post about your progress today, feel free to link up below!
post signature

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails