Tuesday, May 26, 2009

To Homeschool...or Not?

Disclaimer: I understand that there are some strong opinions out there on the subjects of homeschooling, public schools, private schools, Christian schools, charter schools...I'm not here to challenge your opinion on any of these topics. I just want to share my thoughts, since it seems that I'm asked this question often, now that Ryan is Kindergarten-aged.

For the past few years, I have seriously considered homeschooling my kids. I know some amazing young adults who were homeschooled. They are mature beyond their years, have an incredible sense of confidence, have wonderful relationships with everyone around them (especially their families) and are among some of the kindest, most generous people I know. I have never met the "weird" kid that some people picture when they hear that a child has been homeschooled. Not once. Their social skills are better than many other kids their age, they don't feel the pull of peer pressure and they don't succumb to cliques. Despite the odd looks I get from some people, I truly GET the long term benefits of homeschooling children.

I just didn't know if I could do it. All of my homeschool mom friends cheered me along, sharing tips, tricks and strategies for molding the young minds in my household.

Then Ryan turned 2. He was a ball of energy who rarely conformed. My solution was a weekly "Mom's Day Out" program at a nearby church. They had a loose schedule that included story time, free time and outdoor play, but most importantly...he learned social habits such as taking turns, lining up behind other kids and following instructions.

The next year, my closest homeschool mom friend recommended a pre-school down the street from my house. Ryan has loved attending there two days a week for the past two years and Kaylin is enrolled for next year. They focus on making learning fun and allowing kids to be messy kids. When volunteering, I began to see how well Ryan does in a large group setting. I began to doubt whether he would benefit as well if I chose to teach him at home.

And so my struggle began. Because up until that point, I was sold on the idea of homeschooling. Not because I am an overprotective mom, not because I think I am better equipped to teach my son than an educated and trained professional, but because Arizona ranks 49th in the country for our schools. Forty. Ninth. What also scared me was watching several friends (who were teachers) retire to motherhood and swear they would never send their kids through the Arizona public school system...because they had experienced the behind-the-scenes. The limits teachers have. The emphasis from the uppity-ups to improve standardized scores to get Arizona OUT of 49th place. Just to be clear, that's out of 50. Again, forty-ninth.

It was around this time that I met some moms who homeschool some of, but not all of, their kids. Or pulled child #2 out of school for a few years when things started going downhill, then put them back in. I realized that the decision to homeschool isn't all or nothing. I can be flexible. And just because homeschooling might not be right for Ryan (or me) right now, that doesn't rule out the possibility for making that choice for him later. Or for Kaylin. Or baby #3 down the road. I don't HAVE to be the mom who has all of her kids seated around the table working on their individual grade's work. I could be, but my perception of what a homeschooling family looks like was suddenly broadened.

SO - to answer this question universally, Ryan is going to Kindergarten in the fall at a public (*cringe*) school in one of the better districts in the state. For now, I intend to keep him there for at least a few years, unless I'm swayed otherwise. Homeschooling is a very open door in my mind, but today, this year, the timing doesn't seem right just yet.

I should mention that I hope my Arizona readers aren't put off by this post. I've heard the offended say, "I went through the Arizona school system and turned out just fine." I'm not saying that my kids will be ruined if they spend the next 13 years in a public school. But I have news for you...it's gotten worse since you graduated. All schools have, but specifically here. And you have to realize that I came from Kansas (which isn't as protected as most of you think...) and one of the top school districts in the country. I'm very spoiled and want my kids to be, too.

Okay, here we go. I actually do want to hear your opinions. Not if they insult me or my views, but I'm curious about your thoughts on this issue. Anyone...?

27 comments:

Allison said...

We homeschool my daughter, who is 5 and will be in first grade in the fall. We are very new to homeschooling, but LOVE it!

We have only committed to homeschool on a year by year basis. What works for us now might not work for us next year, or in 4 years, or even in 10 years. If we ever felt that it wasn't a good fit for us anymore, then we would explore our options and go from there.

I think you've made a great decision. You are open to other options, and are keeping the best interest of your children in mind. It might be different for one child than the other. You know where the possible problems are, and can keep an eye out for them.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Anonymous said...

I am a middle school teacher with a Master's Degree in Education. I know that many of my public teaching colleagues do not believe in homeschooling. However, I do. I believe that every child is different and every mom is different. It works best for some kids to be home and learn. I am kicking myself for NOT homeschooling my youngest (whom is now 20 and struggled in school). I should have listened to my instincts. At that time, I had no college in education. Now that I do, I feel homeschooling can be gret for some kids! My oldest would not have benefited from homeschooling. He needed regular school. My middle was social. She loved the social aspect of school.

In essence, you're doing exactly what you should. Take it a year at a time, look at your kid and then decide, knowing that nothing is etched in stone.

You are a great mom!

Carry Grace said...

I know that I don't have the patience to homeschool. I was homeschooled for 3 years and never intend to do the same, unless there are some type of drastic circumstances. I just can't see it for us at least not with Cade. I do however have a great deal of respect for the moms that can do it, there are a lot that do it well.

♥ Rachael said...

Hey Katie, great post! I actually just started homeschooling Ele (preschool) and will likely continue if it's still a good fit for us. I taught 2nd, 3rd, and 4th grade here in AZ... a HUGE part of my decision to homeschool. You'd be fabulous at it if you ever decide to! :)

Mikki said...

What a great post.
There's so much I can say but it boils down to you and your hubby seeking God's direction..
HIS direction for your life will not be the same as others. HE has a certain purpose for you and your son.
As long as you are at peace and have allowed God to direct.. then whatever you decided will be blessed!!

Emily said...

Oooh, hot topic. I like the way you are approaching it. It is so true that every child is different. You are doing it so right by looking out for the best interests of your child.

I AM a public school advocate, mostly due to the way I was raised and the fact that I've taught there (and in exceptional schools at that - not bragging, just the ones you grew up with, you know that)

I know how important it is even in those schools to have families like yours!

I am more understanding when parents homeschool due to the needs of their children rather than religious reasons. I believe Christians definitely have a place in the public schools. My comment that I left on this post pretty much sums that up (check it out, it's a good one!):

http://www.lizas-eyeview.com/2008/05/works-for-me-wednesday-public-school.html

chandy said...

I think a big problem for AZ schools is the burden of immigrant children on classrooms. (Not trying to be un-PC with that, but I think it's a fact that if a teacher has to deal with students who don't speak English, it's going to slow down the class.) Chances are good that won't be as big an issue in our districts as it is in others throughout the state.

I've seen first-hand examples of homeschooled kids that turned out great, and those who were dreadfully unprepared for life (same for public schooled kids). I think it's easy to find anecdotal evidence to back up either side.

I personally am in favor of public schooling for our family, but will consider private Christian school if necessary. Homeschooling would be a final resort if our kids weren't thriving, but only because I don't believe I'm called to be at home full time. (Judging by their responses to pre-school, I can't imagine my kids not adjusting to public schools, but who knows?)

I think the single most important thing, regardless of schooling choice, is heavy parental involvement in children’s’ academic and spiritual education. We can’t assume that school and church have this covered. I think AZ’s rankings would sky-rocket if our teachers were working alongside dedicated and involved parents that actually care and want to help.

(And that reminded me to order a new bible study curriculum I’ve been wanting to do with Elliot…)

Emily said...

Sorry for another comment, but I kept thinking about your situation and here's another take... I'm sure you've heard lots of adults' take on things, looking back. Here's mine:

I attended two different public school districts - one in KS and one in TX (for about equal parts of my education) - the one in KS being a ritzier district. I feel like I received just as good if not better education at the less prestigious district (and the district with lower funding and more issues) in TX because of factors such as:
1. my parents pushing me
2. what I put into it
3. wonderful friends

Basically, I think that because my parents, friends, and I had to take more responsibility and initiative in getting the education we wanted, it was even better than if we were at a place where it was spoon fed to us and we took it for granted. Does that make sense?

Anonymous said...

Hi Katie,
I have my daughter in public school. she is in the 3rd grade and I have been please with the public school. We moved from Mississippi and the school district here is much better than where she would have been going. One thing I do is I raise the bar a little at home. My 8 year old is very smart (no, I am not being biased) and I work with her on things a little harder at home than what she is doing at school, so she doesn't get bored. For example, when they started teaching adding single numbers, I added double digits, etc. I use workbooks and online worksheets for her to do at home after school. There is a great amount of things out there to pull from to help them learn a little more if you see they are already excelling and if you think they need more to keep their interest going. I hope that helps.

Katie Porter said...

Hi Katie, from a school teacher from your former KS district and also as a graduate from there, I have to say, I have not found any of the remarkable homeschool students you speak of. I have had several students re-enter public school from home because parents can't keep up with the demands and state requirements. Those students are a handful and suffer much socially. I want you to do what is right for you and your son and if HSing isn't, then don't! Also, I got the cookbook!!!

Unknown said...

Love, love, LOVE this post. GO KATIE AND MIKE! I applaud your use of excellent strategic thinking and especially your year-by-year and child-by-child decision making.

There are many reasons the AZ schools are failing, not the least of which is top-heavy funding, with too many districts and administrators, and too little of the per pupil funding allocated closely enough to the students.

In retrospect, if I would have had the option, there was one year I would have home schooled you, the year you got stuck in a combined classroom with the worst teacher in the school. You were a student that greatly benefited from a comprehensive and challenging school setting... and nearly got lost in the shuffle in that one bad year.

God's got you and your amazing family covered, dear one. Which brings up another good reason to keep you little soldier for Christ in public school for as long as it works.

Isn't it wonderful to have a huge new group of folks to network with and witness to? Remember that Christ calls us to share the good news, particularly with those that haven't yet heard it.

You're the absolute BEST Mom, Katie. I know your family will blossom which ever path you and Mike choose for my adorable grand children.

Jami said...

Great topic! My husband and I wrestled with this as well. My oldest is in kindergarten this year. We decided (after much prayer) to send him to a private Classical Christian school. We loved the advanced curriculum as well as the fact that everything would be taught from a biblical perspective. My son is not too sheltered at this school (Trinity Classical Academy in California). They are taught other points of view and why we believe what we believe.
In the end, every family has to do what is right for them and their children. I agree that decisions can be made on a year by year basis. With loving, faithful parents any child can thrive in any environment. If things change and this school is no longer a fit for my family I would definitely consider homeschooling. I'm not sure but California could be right behind AZ in education. I guess that would make us #50.

Heathahlee said...

You are doing the right thing, Katie, by leaving your options open. We homeschool Kiddo right now, and he is doing great, AND he gets his "socialization" from the large group of kids we have at church. But who's to say we don't send him to school down the road? Several of my friends who have homeschooled in the past have since sent their kids to public school (we have one of the best if not THE best district in the state) and some are doing great, but some are going to be homeschooled again next year. It just depends on the child.

"Intentionally Katie" said...

I'm loving this dialog and all of the different perspectives.

kbell said...

I think it is great to keep your mind open about what will best for your son and your family.

I was interested in homeschooling my oldest, but it just didn't seem like the right time. We decided to send her to public school for kindergarten and she has stayed for first grade also. The timing worked out well as I was expecting baby #4 at the time. I struggled with the decision in the spring, but was so glad when fall rolled around that she was in public school. I think, for us, we all would have suffered is we had chosen to homeschool at the time.

Our decision has had many benefits, some expected and some pleasant surprises:
1. She has had a great experience and has a very positive view of public school. We are planning on homeschooling her next year for second grade and possibly third, which she is very excited about also.
2. I really like that she has been to public school already and hopefully won't be afraid when it is time to go back.
3. We really like our family's presence in the public school and are excited to maintain that next year with our kindergartener going to public school.
4. We have made connections with teachers and administrators that are working with us to have a positive homeschooling experience and easier transition back into public school. For example, my daughter is an excellent reader and has been very good at helping other students in her class. Her teacher is excited about her coming back next year and helping her new first graders with their reading. We would never have had that opportunity if we hadn't been in the public school.

We wish you well in your decisions and look forward to reading about them here. Remember, you are never locked in to a schooling decision. You can always change your mind if you think something different is needed. Have fun.

The DutchMac Tribe said...

Ok, strange comparison here, but this flexible approach is what got me through breastfeeding as well. We were having lots of problems with it, and it was causing me all sorts of stress....which of course was only making things worse! When I let go of the all-or-nothing frame of thought and realized 'Hey, whatever my son gets of the good is stuff is a bonus, and as long as he's happy and healthy, the details don't matter' well, that's when Life thrived for us.

I think the same can be said about the schooling debate. you're right, it doesnt have to be all-or-nothing, but I (personally) would be cautious of the in-and-out movements between mainstream and home education. I could see lots of problems with unsettlement (yeah, that's a word) and feelings of insecurity there. But you could keep incredible consistency by being your children's home TUTOR for all of their years in school. Let the public system do the majority of the work, and then you supplement at home to give them an extra boost.

And before all of you out there think I'm meaning for Katie's household to turn into 24/7 education...no, no, no. I remember in 1st grade I was always the first done with my work, and the teacher brought in a special box of extra challenges (some kind of multi-step system that I did one 'chapter' at a time) that I LOVED doing. I couldn't wait to finish the normal stuff and then run over to the box to work on the extras. I didn't get graded on them, they weren't for any purpose other than further education for fun. (I know, I know, I'm such a geek)

And then my parents bought me the Speak-n-Read and Speak-n-Math (remember those?) and I LOVED those as well. Later in school we had books full of logic puzzles, and I enjoyed doing those in 'spare' time also. All of these things were done as 'extras' in addition to 'normal' education, and I truly believe they deepened my love of learning while still being enjoyable to do.

There are a bizillion products (and just plain ideas from Life) out in the world that a resourceful mom like you would have no trouble getting her hands on, enabling your family to truly have the best of both worlds.

You can do this and THRIVE, I have full confidence! Much love to you all!

Michelle said...

Well, my friend... Though I know live in TX, ranked at I think 25, I'm for public school. However, with that said, if there is a need or reason for some other alternative, I hope I would be open and equipped. I am a product of the AZ school system and I'll be honest, I learned a lot until about 7th grade and then not as much. So...good luck, KT. I love you for youor boldness and baked goods. :)

Trina said...

I am a Canadian homeschooling mom to two boys - Grade 3 and Grade 1 (with more coming up the ranks). We make our decisions each summer about what we are going to do for the following school year.

The benefits of homeschooling are not being questioned here, so I can skim over that part. I do have to say that homeschooling is not easy. The majority of days are wonderful, but there are definitely some rotten days too. When I have those types of days, I question what the heck I'm doing. I pray for guidance. Then within an hour or two, I get what feels like a slap in the face indication that what I am doing is right. God will present the right direction for you if you give it over to him.

I think all homeschoolers at some point have wondered if they are in over their heads. The reality is that what you don't know, you learn together. That's what makes it so much fun. If your kids present you with an question you don't know the answer to, you can make it an adventure to just go and find out. Do a little digging. After all, this approach teaches kids how to learn. Isn't that how we live life as adults? You don't know something? You find out.

Remember that nobody here on earth loves your kids more than you do. That makes you qualified enough in God's eyes.

Nobody said it would be easy. They just said it would be worth it!

Anonymous said...

Yep, I'm a former AZ public school teacher who would never send my kids to an AZ public school (taught til the 05 year.) Just wanted to chime in that I agree with you.

SPKarenO said...

Katie - Great Post. Really captures a lot of the back and forth lots of us new school aged moms feel. My sis homeschools her four, and I was certain 4 years ago I wouldn't homeschool. But over the last year, my feelings have changed. I've read and researched and I have sound reasons for my choices, just like you. We've chosen to homeschool in the fall. We're all very excited.
I think one of the key transitions for a parent into the whole school realm is to remember that there is no 'right' choice. We each make our own choices for our own reasons about our childrens schooling. And instead of judging the other persons choices, we should be grateful we live in a country were we have such freedoms. I wish you much such in educating your children in whatever venue you choose!

Sandra in Phx said...

Why don't you consider attending the Arizona Families for Home Education convention in July? You can check out more information at www.afhe.org

Denise C. said...

I've toyed with the idea of homeschooling my son and daughter (she just turned 1).

My son, almost 3 is well, really quite a handful and there are days when September will not come soon enough (he'll begin preschool.)

My husband, kindly told me that due to my lack of patience, sending our kids to public school would be our best bet. Private school is not even an option given the expense.

Both my husband and I went to public schools. (We met in high school!) And we turned out just fine! :)

Carolyn said...

The second half of Romans 14:23 says "anything that is not done in faith is sin."

We recently had a "school-choice panel" of experienced moms speak at our MOPS meeting. It was so refreshing to hear each of them speak about what was right for THEIR family...not necessarily everyone, and not necessarily for every Christian. You have to do what is right for your own children and what you feel God is leading you to do. I think the most important thing is that you don't make any decisions out of fear (they'll turn away from God in the public school...etc.) but out of faith.

Personally, I am a product of the public school. I was a public school teacher before I became a SAHM, and my husband is currently a public school teacher. At this point, we are planning to send our children to public school (our oldest will be in Kindergarten this coming fall) but are open to whatever God has for us and for our children. I LOVE that you are willing to do different things for different kids, depending on their needs. And their needs may change as time goes on, too. I have many friends who homeschool and have seen great kids come out of both systems. I agree with Chandy when she said that you can find anecdotal evidence for or against both types of schooling.

So I think you're doing a great job! Keep praying for your kiddos and keep us updated! Thanks for your blog!

Carolyn said...

Okay, one more comment...sorry, I read some more of the other comments and just wanted to add a few things. Both of them are agreements with what other people have said...

I agree that I would stay away from "bouncing around" homeschool...public school...private school, etc. Their needs might change but you don't want to bounce around all the time...ESPECIALLY within the same school year.

The other thing is the importance of being involved in your child's education no matter where they "go." Ultimately their education is your responsibility as a parent and you need to be actively involved in what they are doing...as well as offering "extra" learning experiences outside the home. I've read studies and experienced this first-hand as a teacher that the kids who had more life-experiences (traveling in particular, but also just other experiences...not just sitting in front of the TV or playing video games all the time...things like cooking, gardening, etc.) did so much better in school, especially in reading. I always tell my parents that I feel like we were homeschooled and public schooled because of the wide range of experiences they provided for us (for which I am extremely thankful.)

Okay, I'm done for real this time. God bless!

The Maid said...

With 24 comments, you probably don't need mine, but here it goes! :)

It seems as if years ago, we wouldn't be having this discussion. I truly believe that there are many factors that have led to the skyrocketing numbers of homeschoolers, not the least of which is that it is touted as the "Christian" thing to do. I have felt pressure from my Christian community to jump on that bandwagon. I absolutely believe that many moms make the choice to homeschool out of guilt, fear, or misinformation...so I am glad to see your conversation on this matter. :) Years ago homeschooling was not so PC and you were more of a "freak" if you made that choice. Those days have changed, almost entirely in the opposite direction!

I have met remarkable homeschoolers as you suggest. To your nay-sayer...they exist.

But I have also met many (friends included) homeschoolers who are being done a huge disservice by their parents. (Children who aren't reading by the third grade, etc.) Ill-prepared parents who really don't know what they are doing, nor do they care to be held to any "standard" of academic performance.

No matter your decision, it is imperative that you address it positively and that you are dedicated to it. :) (Public schooling can be just as difficult...some long days for those little people!)

One thing that makes my blood boil is to hear my "homeschool only" friends threaten to put their kids in public school..as if there is something wrong with the kids, the teachers, or the act of public schooling itself. I have had kids who have attended public school, homeschooled, and virtual academies from home. Within each venue their have been pros and cons. I will leave that to your imagination, as I am sure you could figure them out easily.

With 8 children in our home, we are at the very least flexible. I believe that flexibility and parent involvement is key. Letting your child's teacher know that they have your support and also letting your child know that you trust them as they go off to school can be a remarkable combination!


It is as you say, children learn differently. And God's word instructs us to "Train up a child in the way he would go..." which I have been taught means according to that child's personal bent. How they are wired plays a huge part in the schooling decision.

I believe that whatever my decisions have been, God has covered it with His grace. He has given us Christian teachers, administrators, and staff. He has also built my character and my children's character through challenging circumstances with teachers who were not a great fit, problems with other students, and various other experiences. He has guided us through with adequate curriculum, homeschool co-ops and organizations, and some friendships through homeschooling as well.

Make your choices with confidence, Katie! You are the one accountable for those precious people...don't let anyone make you feel badly for what has been a very prayerful and personal decision! :)

God Bless! :)

The Maid

Lorie said...

I think there is definitely a balance that needs to be found.

I sent my kids to a public school (but a more traditional school with stricter words and an advanced curriculum)

I then take the opportunity to supplement what they learn by trips to the museum, piano lessons, and other family activities. It keeps our home busy and I feel like they get the best of both worlds

Sarah Mae said...

Hi Katie! :) It is clear you have put a lot of thought and prayer into this decision. The important thing is that you are obeying where the Lord has led you.

I am actually going to be homeschooling, and I am scared as can be of failing, but I know the Lord has placed in on my and my husband's heart, so we're just goin' with it! :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails