Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Tuesday's Time Saving {Password} Tips

I keep my passwords all in one place. My mom saw my list one day and suggested that I blog about it, and here we are. I didn't think my idea was very original, but it was new to her, so this might be helpful for some of you reading!

Sure, most of them are the same, but some need 4 characters, some require a minimum of 6. Other websites start force me to use both letters and numers in the password and it must be at least 8 characters long and not contain any part of my user name and no one in the state of Maryland can have the same password and...and...and...well, I've been known to forget my password at times.

Several years ago, I created a tab in my "Notes" folder in Microsoft Outlook and began listing my passwords there. Thank goodness they are alphabetical, because I've established quite a collection. I list by site name, then what email address I use (I'll often use my yahoo account for sites that are likely to send me unwanted newsletters, etc), then my user name and password.

Adding to this list takes 30 seconds when I create an account with a new site. It's easy to reference and I don't have to wait for them to email me my password to log in. (let alone check both email accounts for the reminder email)

I have to say that this system became ineffective when my main email went down and I didn't have access to my password to log in online. THIS is the password that's 8 characters, using alpha and numeric, can't contain any part of my user name or real name...and to make matters worse, it only let you "guess" the password 3 times before locking me out of their site for 4 hours. It took Mike and I two days to figure out the correct password. Hassle!!!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails