Monday, March 30, 2009

Random Thoughts

What a day. I loaded the kids and a sack lunch into the car at 10:30 and headed off to pick Mike up at work. We all drove WAY across town to check out a great deal on a minivan. Mike had a cashiers check made out in the exact amount he'd negotiated over the phone and we were convinced we'd own the vehicle this afternoon.

But whoa. I'm a big believer in first impressions. Before listing my own car on Craigs List, I have every intention of getting the thing completely detailed. There will be no crushed Cheerios crammed into the seats or smeared sippy cup remnants to be seen. No one will be able to trace children back to my car.

So please...if you're going to sell a car, would you consider taking it through a full service car wash and at least getting the thing vacuumed out? This vehicle was dirty. Not "just returned home from a cross country drive to Disney World" kind of dirty, but still, it was gross. When we opened the door, I looked at the carpets and asked Mike, "We'd rip out these carpets, right?" How many Diet Cokes had been spilled in that car, I'll never know. But it had crumbs and grime everywhere. And when we propped up the cupholders, there was a giant black hair dangling from the thing. (I'm still shuddering at the thought) Now, I understand that 99% of the owners of minivans have kids. I get that. But sellers, please: get...the car...cleaned.

Okay, now that I've gotten that off my chest, I can complain about getting home at 2:00. Three and a half hours of my life that I'll never get back. The poor kids were in the car almost the entire time, except when we had to take potty breaks. We could have driven over halfway to the beach in that time! I was so disappointed that I self medicated treated myself to a Chick-Fil-A Cookies and Cream milkshake. And it just occurred to me that it was laced with chocolate, which I gave up for Lent. OOPS.

I haven't bought a REALLY used car since I was 16. And all of the cars I've purchased since then have been from dealerships, so they were emaculate. I guess my standards are too high. And I'm realizing that, for our price point, the van we get will likely be stained, scratched and might actually look and feel...really used.

Part of the problem may be my hound-dog-like sense of smell these days. My nose is so incredibly sensitive. Even the scent of my own deoderant bothers me. Who knows what kinds of spills are set into the carpet and seats of pre-owned mini-vans.

Moving on. Last week, Ryan was into pushing Kaylin around. Literally. She climbed into a plastic bin and he "bowled" with her. She was the ball and he pushed her across the kitchen floor toward the pins.







Then he pushed her into the front hall to have their morning snack at the table near the front door. It was all very sweet. It was one of the days I was laid up on the couch all day...they were trying to be creative to entertain themselves. At one point, under a pile of stuffed animals and dolls that Kaylin had loaded on top of me "for the baby," I must have dosed off and noticed that it was 1:00. "Naptime, everybody upstairs," I announced. Ryan got tears in his eyes and said, "But Mommy, what about lunch??" Oh, were those 10am pretzels NOT lunch? I forget that just because I don't want to eat, I still have to feed the munchkins!


Next topic: who stands like this? I saw this ad on Facebook. Do you know any teens who walk around their school, angry and all contorted with their hair blowing around, like this poor chick?


Last thing: without getting specific, a male family member mentioned that my pillow talk post this weekend was too candid. Apparently, it was inappropriate and in bad taste. So if anyone else was offended that I used the word "boob" in a post or that I shared this child's first intimate Daddy moment with the world, I'm offering a blanket apology. My intention is never to offend, but I'm not deleting the post. That's me being real. Now I'm going to go walk around the house like chickdowntown and see if anyone notices...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha! You said "boob". I smiled. I have them too. :)

As for the minivan, I understand. There are people out there who actually take care of their mini's. Mine is (usually) clean and there are not (many) stains, and there are NO food crummies. Good luck with your search.

{lauren} said...

I guess I must have missed the "boob" post, but I highly doubt it would have offended me. But it tends to take a lot to do that, so..anyway:)

Bless your heart with all those pregnancy woes. I don't miss them one bit! And this was just my first one...I can't imagine feeling so crummy with TWO kiddos running around too! You have my eternal admiration:)

Good luck with the van search. I hope my xterra will last for a while longer...its a 2004, and was like new when I got it. But unless it falls apart or something, I'm keeping it because its actually paid for!

Heathahlee said...

I was thinking today about how much work it would take to clean my van if we decide to sell it. I would NEVER allow a potential buyer to see it in its current condition! : )

And I am so going to read that post. How in the world did I miss it? I think I've been missing several on my followed list. I must not be keeping up well.

Oh, and my husband happened up behind me as I was reading and wondered out loud what was wrong with that chick. I laughed out loud when you said you were going to walk around the house like that. I would have paid money to see that!

Misty M. said...

I for one Loved that Post!!! It was the most candid and honest thing I have read so far. I even told my husband about it earlier tonight because it sounded so much like us.

I think it was great, I hope you have a wonderful pregnancy and that the minivan buying part isn't too big of a headache. That may be us next year too.

Julie said...

Oh, goodness! You got me laughing so hard! Thanks. I needed that!

chandy said...

I bet that girl could totally win some Limbo contests.

Maybe try localizing your minivan searches in Sun City or Mesa? I know old people like minivans as much as families do, and they may be a bit cleaner...

Related Posts with Thumbnails