As Christians, we are supposed to live for an audience of one. THE One. I've heard this statement before. Many, many times. Our pastor says it now and again (in fact, he said it tonight), it comes up in Bible studies and accountability groups, this was not a new phrase for me. I understand the concept: live only for God.
But yesterday morning, I did a devotion that broke it down much more specifically.
Don't be a good wife to please your husband, do it to please the Lord. Don't be a good mom to please your kids, do it to please the Lord. Be a good friend to please the Lord. Be a good daughter to please the Lord. Be a good employee to please the Lord, not to please your boss or co-workers. LIGHT BULB. NOW I get it! If I'm doing as God wants me to in terms of loving others by honoring my husband or guiding my kids or supporting my friends, their response or reaction should not matter. I shouldn't look for praise or appreciation from them. If I don't get recognized for my "efforts," I am not supposed to be affected because people are not my audience. GOD is. Duh! He is the only person in my audience. It is that simple.
Don't be a good wife to please your husband, do it to please the Lord. Don't be a good mom to please your kids, do it to please the Lord. Be a good friend to please the Lord. Be a good daughter to please the Lord. Be a good employee to please the Lord, not to please your boss or co-workers. LIGHT BULB. NOW I get it! If I'm doing as God wants me to in terms of loving others by honoring my husband or guiding my kids or supporting my friends, their response or reaction should not matter. I shouldn't look for praise or appreciation from them. If I don't get recognized for my "efforts," I am not supposed to be affected because people are not my audience. GOD is. Duh! He is the only person in my audience. It is that simple.It's tough to stay confident in the fact that I'm trying to live for an audience of one when we don't meet the earthly expections of others. For me, it's hard not to be affected by that. But my new hope is that I would not get wrapped up in those feelings. If I'm doing everything God wants me to do, sometimes I will not only not get praise, but I will receive criticism. That's the kicker! And the worst of it all, I think.
So that was my "ah ha" moment for the week and I wanted to share it with you. I suppose this should have made sense a long time ago. But I must be slow...












3 comments:
Thanks so much for this post. I too have heard Pastor D say this over and over again (and I write it in my notes every time that he does...LOL!). I guess I thought that I "got it" until I read this post. The way you explained it made it so much simpler than I was making it out to be and now I know I didn't truly "get it" until now.
Thanks for your thoughts and inpiration. As a newer wife, mom and Christian I look forward to hearing other Christians take on living for THE One! :)
Tracey Rezapour(2HTO comrade)
(*Note* I must admit, I am one of "those people" who frequents your blog but never makes myself known as you wrote about in a former post. Guilty:) Hahahaha! I'll do better about commenting from time to time! Blessings...T)
As Tracey said, you are an inspiration Katie! Thank you. As I commented in Jolies blog, what you both wrote on "Living for an Audience of One" really hit home for me. Wow, what perspetive and so true. You really simplified it for me.
We missed church this weekend so I really need to listen to the podcast of the service. Maybe it will help me get through this week and serve as my reminder to live for an audience of One. Sometimes life gets in the way, or rather, I let life get in the way. I sometimes find myself drifting from Him. I need to find my way back.
Anyway, Thank you again Katie (hugs)
Shel
Yes I'm still here reading.. :)
This was a GREAT post, again inspiring.. :)
Post a Comment