Phase one of Ryan's Life Skills Binder is complete! I compiled a binder that has everything I need to teach him the chemistry of baking and how to follow a recipe. Each recipe will be prepared three times: he'll watch once while I make it, then he'll make it while I watch, finally he'll make the item on his own.
Then, just like in the original idea, when he completes our "classes", he gets to invite over some friends for a party where he'll prepare 6-8 of the recipes himself and celebrate with his guests. How fun does that sound???
Here are the recipes I included in the baking section. After his baking party, we'll move on to learning breakfast and dinner recipes/techniques because those are a little less concrete. (I already chose our "syllabus" for those classes and included them below. The dinner items are all easy enough to teach the basics, which hopefully will translate over into most other recipes.)
Baking
Granola (minus the wheat germ)
Granola Bars (also minus the wheat germ)
Gluten-Free Banana Bread
Chocolate Cake
Homemade Frosting
Alton Brown's Chocolate Chip Cookies
No-Bake Paleo Cookies
Gluten-Free Brownies
Monkey Munch
Homemade Bread (either Olive Oil Bread or Whole Wheat Bread)
Gluten-Free, Grain-Free Muffins
Apple Pie
Whipped Cream
Breakfast
Eggs - fried
Eggs - scrambled
Eggs - omelets
Eggs - Dad's concoction
Oatmeal
Pancakes
French Toast
Smoothies
Dinner
Chili
White Chicken Chili in the crock pot
Chicken Noodle Soup
Vegetable Soup
Tacos (with homemade, clean eating taco seasoning)
Chicken Enchilada Crustless Quiche
Chicken Fried Rice
Meatloaf/Meatballs
Mashed Potatoes
Rice
Hummus (not dinner, but I want to teach him anyway)
I can't wait to get started!!! My responsibilities are clearly dwindling as the kids grow up. I can see it now: "Ryan, could you please go get dinner started? The defrosted chicken is in the fridge." Soon my role in this family will be all but obsolete. (Mwahaha...)













4 comments:
FINALLY a home school curriculum I know!
Mom
How do you plan to address him cooking things he can't eat because he's gluten free? We eat Paleo at home 95% of the time but I learned how to cook just about everything before that. I want to teach my kids some of these skills but we don't really eat that stuff! We do on special occasion but it's rare.
@Anonymous: Most of the recipes have gluten-free substitution options, but things like the homemade bread and the pie (with a real crust) will be baked and probably given away. Once he learns the technique, we can experiment with GF alternatives later, I'm sure!
@Anonymous: Most of the recipes have gluten-free substitution options, but things like the homemade bread and the pie (with a real crust) will be baked and probably given away. Once he learns the technique, we can experiment with GF alternatives later, I'm sure!
Post a Comment