Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Tuesday's Time Saving {Paper} Tips

Does anyone out there have paper clutter? I totally do - I'm not the best resource for telling you how to completely change and organize all of your paper, but I have a handle on a few of the sources of paper clutter. There is a great section on conquering paper clutter in Donna Otto's book, "Secrets to Getting More Done in Less Time." Check that out to hear from the expert...but know that the first versions of her book didn't include this chapter because even SHE didn't have a handle on her own paper issues.

* Mail - my rule is simple: don't bring in the mail if you don't have time to go through it immediately. We open our mail with the recycle bin nearby. Junk mail, ads and opened envelopes go directly into the recycle bin. Bills go in a pile to go upstairs to the office (though most are automatic withdrawal, so they just get filed, not paid). Magazines are put in a particular spot for easy access when I'm headed to the gym. Also, I used to have a huge problem throwing away magazines and would always give them to someone else to read. After I'd read through it and it was ready to be passed on, I'd put a checkmark by the label so I wouldn't accidentally grab a magazine I'd already read. I know it sounds anal, but I was SO sick of looking through the same magazines and have a tendency to get behind on my reading sometimes, so it worked for me.

* Coupons - I have a few places I keep coupons. I have one of those stackable letter trays with a shelf dedicated to magazines, paperwork that needs to go upstairs and two spots for coupons. Before they're put "away," I put coupons that need to be looked through and clipped in one tray and coupons that are clipped but need to be filed into the right envelope in another tray. Grocery coupons are put in a cheapy accordion file pocket that fits in my purse. Other coupons for meals, services (car washes, oil changes, hair cuts for Mike) and ALL of those Bed, Bath & Beyond coupons that come in the mail each go into envelopes dedicated to that category. That way, when I need something from BB&B, I just grab that envelope on my way to the store and figure out the best coupon to use when I get there. Same thing goes when we want to go out to eat: we'll look through the "dining" envelope. Most recent coupons go in front and whenever we go through the envelope, we'll pull expired coupons.

* Backpack Papers - I haven't yet entered the era of homework, but I have made it a habit to go through Ryan's backpack every school day while the kids are eating lunch. After I make their sandwiches, the backpack gets emptied, artwork goes on the fridge for a few days, the monthly newsletter is put with my magazines (it's a long read) and the weekly letter from the teacher is read while I eat my own lunch. Things that need to be signed or completed are done right away and put back in the backpack. Also, at the end of the week, artwork gets hidden put in the recycle bin...I know it sounds heartless, but he'll have a LOT of art over the years. One idea I can share is that if the picture touches me specifically or he's especially proud, I'll take a picture of it and I scrapbook the photos of his art into a 2 page spread at the end of the year.


* Receipts - In our house, we track our spending by entering all of our receipts into Quicken. I have a spot on my desk for receipts that need to be entered and immediately afterward, the receipt either gets shredded (gas, dining, etc) or filed (clothing, household items, other things that may need to be returned later). I have whole file folders for those little receipts (kids clothes, our clothes, household, gifts given and gift receipts received) and every once in a while will grab the back 1/2 of the stack and shred them. I always know where a receipt is if something breaks or needs to be returned for some reason.

* Bills - I don't do the bills in our house, but we have a spot for them in our office. I've heard some good ideas for paying them on time, including buying an accordion file with 31 pockets and putting bills in the corresponding day that they need to be paid.

Now don't get me wrong...I still have paper clutter in my house. It's just in piles. I'm the queen of piles! Stuff that needs to be PUT in one of the above areas is either in a pile next to our kitchen phone on the little counter by our microwave or it's in a pile on our desk in the office. If something isn't where it should be, look in a pile. :) I go through them weekly (or so...) to make sure everything is put in it's place.

I think I covered most of the paperwork nuisances. Did I forget anything? If you have other ideas for how to tame your paper clutter, please leave a comment!

1 comment:

Raquel said...

my biggest tip is to open mail over the trash can then i avoid the piles.

i always try to call on RSVP as soon as i get a invite so i dont forget to do it later than put it on the calendar right then.

i go through my kids back packs as soon as we get home and i sign anything i need to, throw out what we dont need and work on homework right away

Related Posts with Thumbnails