Tuesday, February 24, 2009

It pays to behave

Literally. In my house, it pays a dime.

I'm so sick of repeating myself that I decided to start paying my kids to behave. Judge me all you want...it's working. I could have done a sticker chart or marbles in a jar, but no. I'm paying my kids a dime each time they listen and obey something I say the first time. Without arguing. Or getting distracted and deciding to strip down and put on a Spiderman costume before clearing their plate from the table. (hypothetically speaking of course...)

Ryan is doing beautifully with this and has caught on right away. Kaylin is seeing how often he's getting paid for following instructions the first time and has made it into a little game of her own. This has to work.

I just needed to do something drastic to kick start my kids back on a positive track again. They love the *plink* sound that change makes when it hits their piggy banks and they also love taking their coins to Target and buying a toy out of the $1 bins with their earnings. I'm even having them pay for treats like gum or lollipops now instead of getting them freely.

Today was a good day. I'm not sure how broke I'll be at the end of this little experiment, but it has to be cheaper than therapy, right?

2 comments:

Jenn Hydeman said...

Have you also tried taking away a toy when they have done something that is a REAL no no? We don't do time outs here...they don't work. Trinity really doesn't misbehave that often, but, when she is being particularily mouthy, we give a warning, and then we take away a special toy and she gets to earn it back by good behaviour. It works for us.

Anonymous said...

So beautiful when you can discover something effective!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails