Thursday, April 23, 2009

#11 - Read a fiction book - THE SHACK

When I set out to read The Shack, I had no idea there was any controversy about it. But my friend who loaned me the book also gave me some commentary on the controversy, so I could get an idea of what all the fuss was about. I decided to read the book first for an impartial opinion.

Personally, I thought it was great. An interesting perspective on the types of questions that many Christians and non-Christians have regarding God, His relationship with us and specifically, the Trinity.

I'm curious about the people who have convinced themselves that this FICTIONAL story might have happened. I guess anything's possible, but these are likely the same people who forget that The Da Vinci Code was a work of fiction, not a conspiracy theory. It's wonderful that people can get so swept up in the characters in novels, but really. If it says, "fiction," let's just call it "fiction."

After reading the arguments against the book and it's scriptural accuracy, well, let's just say I wasn't planning on referring to The Shack as my new source of truth. Let me repeat: the book was fiction. The story was made up. The theology was as close to Biblically accurate as the author could interpret for himself. But he's just a man and this book was not God-breathed. It had some great thoughts, ideas and word pictures, but I'll leave those within the story. It didn't dramatically alter my perceptions of God or my relationship with Christ in a way that would draw me away from Biblical truth. But that's just me; apparently skeptics are concerned about readers who aren't as grounded in their faith as I am.

My amateur review of this book is all positive. The beginning was a bit slow, but that may be because I'm no longer as interested in the descriptive details fictional books have to offer. I'm used to reading for the "meat" of it. But I'd recommend the book...it was a great read.

I should explain that I haven't read a fiction book in years. At least since before my pregnancy with Ryan. I used to be into Nicholas Sparks, John Grisham, the Left Behind series, even Dean Koontz. Once pregnant, the stack next to my bed contained Baby Wise, Secrets of The Baby Whisperer, What to Expect When You're Expecting and The Girlfriend's Guide to Pregnancy. Nowadays, the stack contains The Strong Willed Child, Grace-Based Parenting, The Power of a Praying Wife and The Love Dare. See a pattern? I still read, but it's for knowledge, not necessarily for pleasure.

Watching friends trade books at Bunco and reading book reviews on other blogs had me missing my fiction reading a little, hence, adding it as #11 to my 101 Goals in 1001 Days list. Who knows, maybe I'll even pick up another fictional book in the remaining 886 days left to complete my list???

By the way, is this post link-tastic or WHAT? :)

4 comments:

Ashley @ The Happy Little Home said...

You've definitely got my curiosity level up now! I think I might have to give it a try...Thanks!

chandy said...

I have a couple of rambling points that I'll try to pull together into one (really long) comment...

1. You can learn from fiction! Not only have I learned an incredible amount from a variety of fiction novels, but frequent reading of fiction improves my reading comprehension and discernment.

2. I don't think anyone has ever come out and said that The Shack wasn't fiction. I believe everyone has always been clear on that point. The problem is, it is a fictional depiction of what the author is claiming as theological truths. That is where it differs greatly from DaVinci Code, Harry Potter, His Dark Materials, or any number of 'heretical' books. Those books weren't presenting the author's point of view on biblical doctrine.

3. I won't try to go piece by piece picking out the "wrong" parts of the book. There are much, much more qualified theologians who have already done that (Mohler, Driscoll, Challies, the list is long and distinguished.)

4. The author is using his 15 minutes of fame to speak in churches. So that means his views are being voiced from the pulpit. Knowing that there are holes and errors that could confuse people, isn't it difficult (if not inadvisable) to recommend this book so enthusiastically? What if a baby Christian came across it? Or even worse, a non-believer? What if his distorted views of the trinity, substitutionary atonement, repentence, etc. pointed someone away from salvation?

5. Doctrine is a big, big deal. It is the foundation of Christianity, and we can't just stand by and let it be chipped away a piece at a time simply because the author means well or was trying his best.

Anyway, I'm sure we can disagree and still go the heaven! But if you plan to read another fiction book in the next 800 days or so, I have SO many great suggestions.

Heathahlee said...

I have heard the same things about The Shack, but I agree that if you put it in perspective that it is a fiction book (although I had heard that it was based on a true story?), no biggie. I don't tend to let my belief system be swayed by the latest fiction book out there. : )

I had and have most of those other books you mentioned, too! But Christian fiction is still the closest to my heart. Dee Henderson is my current read. Love her!

Niki Jolene said...

I've so been wanting to read this. I gotta get on it!

:)

It's on my goal list for 2009 as well.

Related Posts with Thumbnails