Tuesday, September 9, 2008

To print or not to print?

Over the last several years, I've gone through stages of printing my own digital pictures from home and using online photo services. When I saw a "50 prints free" deal for a new company, I'd shamelessly use them for their free photos, then continue printing my own from my above-average printer at home.

But last year, I caught wind of a rumor that pictures that are printed from home may not stand the test of time. 30-40 years from now, they may start to fade. I have no idea if this is true or not, but it scared me into getting most of our pictures printed by the pros. I used to use Shutterfly until I found out that Costco pictures are $.17 every day when you order online or $.16 in the store. Plus they can print up to 12x12 and their enlargements are extremely reasonable - much cheaper than the online sites and no shipping. OH and when you place your order, you can pick them up in 1-2 hours at the store of your choice. It's very convenient.

Money Saving Mom just posted a list of photo printing sites that give you freebies and I tried a new company. York Photo offers 30 free 4x6 prints when you sign up and only $.08 4x6 prints afterward. PLUS there's a coupon code for free shipping (SHIP4x6). I just bought 48 pictures from our trip to the beach, Kaylin's first haircut and Ryan's first day of school ALL for $1.44 delivered to my door. I also noticed on there that if you refer friends (you have to send them an email...I don't get credit for any of you who open an account!) they get 20 free prints and so do you. Be sure to tell them about the free shipping code, too - it's a great deal!

A few more digital photo freebies:
  • When you register for a new account at WinkFlash, you will get 50 4x6 prints for free and only pay $0.99 for shipping! Use code WF95WF27 when you check out to get this deal.
  • Get 50 free prints when you sign up with a new account from SnapFish. (You'll have to pay shipping, though.)
  • Sign up for a new account at myPictureTown and get 2 GB of free photo storage.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like to print my own on a HP PhotoSmart 4960. I've been using it for about 5 years now and have not had any problems with photo quality. But you raise a good point, who knows what they will look like in about 20 years. Many of the cheaper portrait pictures my mom had made of me when I was little have turned pinkish. I'll be sure to check out that photo site. Thanks.

By the way, thanks for stopping by http://cibbit.net Nice to "meet" you too.

Anonymous said...

Ooohhh, thanks fo the tips!
You know, I still have over 200 pictures on my computer that I have to upload to one of these sites to get printed. I know...procrastination! I am just dreading sorting through them all. But watch, I'll finally get it done and it'll turn out to be the easiest project I'll tackle in a long time. That always happens.

Heathahlee said...

I have wondered if those photo sites were good. I guess when stuff is that cheap I can afford to find out! Thanks for the info!

Anonymous said...

I am sooo behind on pictures! I need to get up off of it and print some out....

Related Posts with Thumbnails