Friday, December 2, 2011

Preparing to Homeschool, Part 3 - Advice

One thing I'm getting a lot of right now is ADVICE.  Advice from parents who homeschool.  Advice from parents who DON'T homeschool.  Advice from teachers.  Advice from strangers.  It's a lot to sift through.

I have appreciated some key pieces of wisdom through my decision-making process that I want to jot down before I forget:

- During "school-time," take off your Mom Hat and put on your Teacher's Hat.  Teachers are often more patient than moms on repeat offenses.

- When your child loses interest in a subject, stop and switch to something as far from that subject as possible.

- Take frequent breaks to get the wiggles out (Simon Says, dance party, do an obstacle course through the house)

- Prepare lessons each Sunday for the upcoming week.

- Prepare craft projects monthly to give yourself time to gather supplies without needing to run out at the last minute.

- Early to bed, early to rise.

- Be an example of what you teach: turn off the t.v. and pick up a book!

(unfinished 2/28/16)
post signature

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails