Sunday, April 3, 2011

Homemade Clorox Cleanup

You all know that I try to be as chemical-free as possible, especially with my cleaners.  But there are just some areas of my house that don't seem clean without bleach.  (my toilet and kitchen sink, to name a couple)

I keep bleach in the house for pouring into toilet bowls and I keep Clorox Clean Up for our sink.  I feel like it kills more bacteria and germs than my standard all-purpose cleaner.  It's probably my imagination, but food-born junk freaks me out. 

After finding raw chicken juice all over a fridge shelf recently - AGAIN - I ran out of Clorox Clean Up while disinfecting the spill.  In my attempt to buy less groceries for March, I ended up looking up a recipe for homemade Clorox Clean Up.  Sure enough, you can make anything at home these days!

All you need is:
- 1/4 cup bleach
- 1 Tbsp. dishwashing liquid
- fill the squirt bottle with water

I ended up just mixing it in my empty Clorox Clean Up bottle.  It works just as well as the $4 bottle from the store!  I'm seriously shocked.  So, of course, I had to share. 

Happy cleaning!
post signature

7 comments:

Rebecca said...

Thank you for this! I just made some up and used it to clean my sink - worked perfectly!

Melissa said...

Thank you! I googled homemade clorox cleanup and your blog was the first thing that popped up!

Anonymous said...

Just made a batch. Works well.

Anonymous said...

Just be sure your dish soap does not contain ammonia. Back of bottle (including Dawn) states DO NOT ADD BLEACH. Noxious fumes are the result.

Alison said...

I am right there with you - I haven't used bleach in years, but my daughter got MRSA and the doctor recommended cleaning the tub daily with bleach. I made a spray bottle with this recipe and used it around the house as well.

Thank you for sharing this! Greatly appreciated!!!

Tonya Hamilton said...

We made a concoction similar to this, but used laundry soap. I had read on another blog (can't remember which one) about doing this, since laundry detergent and bleach are made to hang out together. Perhaps for those concerned with Dawn and bleach together, this would be a compromise.

Thanks for your recipe!

Anonymous said...

Be careful with this homemade bleach cleaner. Bleach loses it's disinfection "powers" once it is exposed to light, heat, and dilution - bleach typically becomes ineffective as a disinfectant after about 15-20 minutes of dilution. If you plan on using this formula as a disinfectant it would be important to make it daily and discard any unused portion of the solution.

Just concerned for the lady that has a daughter that has MRSA.

Related Posts with Thumbnails