Today, I'd like to report that my husband rocks because...HE GOT A JOB!!! Not only did he land a job in this horrible economy...
before we had to touch our emergency fund...or think about selling a rental house...he is SUCH a great employee, that he is going back to work for one of his old companies. In fact, it's the company he left to accept the job working with our church. He left on good terms, gave 3 weeks notice, trained the new person they hired, and his old boss valued him so much that she called his new boss (at the church) to rave about him and say how much he would be missed at the old office.
This old boss was one of the first people Mike called to put a bug in her ear that he was available for work again. She is also a Christian (around our parents' age) and completely understood why Mike left that company in the first place. There were no burned bridges when he left.
SOOOOO...she called a couple of days ago and said that they are paring down their staff, but would like to hire Mike back to replace the CPA that they are laying off! I know we should have jumped at the chance, but there are definite concerns with this offer. No health benefits - everything's out of pocket (hel-LO...no maternity insurance for baby #3 someday), plus the pay scale was a little less than he was ideally hoping for. Also, it's a small real estate company. Small in this economy is unstable. The real estate market in this economy is unstable.
As we were praying about it the other night, a small voice inside of me said, "WHY are you praying about this? There have been NO tangible job leads other than Make a Wish. There are a gazillion people looking for work right now and hardly anyone is hiring. Mike was considering applying at Starbuck's in a few months to help pay the bills. This is a good job with a good company in a nice part of town with a great staff. Are you seriously that greedy to consider holding out for something better???" I shared those thoughts with Mike, he took the day to continue making his decision and he officially called and accepted the job yesterday afternoon.
CONGRATULATIONS MIKE!!! And thank you to everyone for keeping us in your prayers, supporting me emotionally through this tough time in our marriage and for checking in with us to make sure we weren't ready for straight jackets. (I loved the calls and emails from friends who said, "No seriously...how are you REALLY doing? Give it to me straight." I have the best girlfriends in the world.)
I really enjoyed the time Mike was home with us these last couple of months. Well, most of it anyway! We had a couple of really hard weeks before Christmas, but I think it brought us closer together and strengthened Mike's faith. It took a bit of time for us to develop a new routine that included him, but once we did, it was nice spending so much time together. For those of you going through a layoff or a recent job loss, I will tell you that Mike's lowest point was at about 4 weeks, and I've heard that 4-6 weeks is a common rock-bottom for men. Continue to support your husband, pray for him, encourage him and build up his confidence, especially during the rough times.
The kids have gotten used to the four of us being together all the time.
Not only Daddy being home during the days, but all of us together. I took Ryan hiking last week, just him and me, and he said he missed Kaylin and Daddy over and over until he was almost in tears. Last night when Mike and Ryan went to a friend's house to watch the final college football bowl game, Kaylin asked when they were coming home 100 times. Even when I have the kids alone at the grocery store for under an hour, they complain about missing their daddy.
Mike returning to work full time is going to be an adjustment for all of us. Personally, I've become quite comfortable being a little lazier, sleeping in a little later together and enjoying a more laid back, simpler life. They'll let Mike know his start date next week, so in the meantime, we're going to lavish in these last few days together, without the financial stress looming overhead.
We're really excited that God has given him this opportunity. I'm so grateful for my husband and proud of him for getting a new job!!!













29 comments:
Congratulations! I'm so happy to hear the good news! Way to go, Mike!
That's great news! I'm sure you are all breathing a sigh of relief now, and you'll especially be able to enjoy his last bit of time off!
Praise God! Your faithfulness has been rewarded!
This is just the beginning of the rich blessings in store for your family.
Congratulations to all of you!
Awesome news my friend! Congrats to you and Mike! Gods plan, right!?:)
Congratulations! And what a blessing to have been able to have that time together. Always reasons for everything ... maybe this was the way for your family to be with each other more. Good things all around.
Big hugs and kisses from across the pond!
XOXOXOXOXOOX
Katie, that is the best news! Congratulations, Mike! Yes, it will be an adjustment...I'll keep praying for your kids (and you!) to make the transition smoothly.
Yaaaaaaay!
Hallelujah! I am singing praises with you, what a gift from God! I love the testimony of Mike's character reflected by getting rehired. That says so much about him as a person. Congratulations and blessings with this new transition. Another change, more fun, huh? xoxo
Congratulations! That is great news!
Congrats on Mike's new job. I wanted to comment about the lack of insurance. My hubby doesn't have any with his job either. There are a few individual policies that offer maternity coverage. It's not super-cheap, but I'm expecting #3 and it's cheaper than not having coverage. Don't rule out a future baby just because he doesn't have insurance. It can still be done.
What fantastic news! Isn't it wonderful to know that God is providing, so that even though it was an incredibly stressful time, you were able to see the blessing in it?
Yeah! That is great news. I trust that God will also miraculously provide the funds to have baby #3.
How wonderful Katie! That is such great news! I know you're all so happy:)
Thanks for sharing your story of faith, trial and growth. It's hard to share those things when you are in the middle of them, but so encouraging to others!
From Cindy Anderson, who STILL can't figure out her password...
Man, is our God GREAT or WHAT!! Congratulations, Mike and Katie! I so appreciate your candor and encouragement, and how tight your young family is. Truly, you and Mike are a couple after God's own heart. I especially loved your 360' proud-as-punch recap of your wonderful husband and his value, to you, your family, and to the business community. WOW. I'm absolutely thrilled for all of you. God is buh-lessing you, Girl!
He accepted! I was hoping he would!! Yay!!
Had to pop in to say CONGRATULATIONS. GOd is so good, and to hear you didn't even have to touch your emergency fund is amazing. You may know that we are entering that in Feb. He's done Feb 21st and our prayer is to make it through without debt. We may have to touch our emergency fund since insurance for a fam of 7 is huge and we have a $500/month braces bill....can you believe that. Just for no overbites - ugh. What you have to do as a parent. I know the Lord is using this so much and teaching us even more.
So neat to hear how your "God watch" turned out.
I'm with all the bloggers who are saying don't rule out baby number 3 just because of health insurance issues! You can always use a midwife and have an awesome homebirth...it is cheaper than paying cash to the hospital and your obgyn and the anesthesiologist, etc. :) Remember...God will make a way, when there seems to be no way! ;)
And I'm envying the fact that you HAVE an emergency fund! Woo hoo!
The Maid
Hi from Sandra,
Mike's character has always been genuine and I praise God for answering prayer. Katie you have remained strong and positive and now it pays off. Way to stand by your man girl... Great way to start of 2009.
I once went back to a previous job and it was better than the first go around. I hope this true for you too Mike. We will continue to keep you in prayer for the new adjustment.
Yeah!! YIPPEE!! Yeah! So happy for you :)
Thanks for the link about the second-hand kids' clothes Congressional Bill thingy. I have done my part and sent off my opinion. Fingers, toes, eyes, legs, and all assorted other things crossed!
I LOVED the story about Ryan crashing into Kaylin all football-style! The closest we get here is LC zipping through the house screamming 'Beep! Beep!' and occasionally pecking at the floor, thinking he's The Roadrunner. Now, if only he could manage to drop an anvil on Daddy's head ..... :-)
Yea for you guys on the marriage conference. I'd love to go to one of those ... hmmmm, maybe it will have to wait until we live in a country where we can actually speak the language. :-)
I'm sending all the best mojo we have that you two grow even stronger than you already are through this. Yea you!
xoxoxoxoxo
If preschools there can haul in snow, can LC's preschool here haul in warm weather? PLEASE?!
I do believe you have now just accomplished #50 on your list, 'Get 25 comments on a single blog post'. You didn't say there were any conditions on that, so TECHNICALLY, I didn't cheat by writing five comments on one post, I just helped finish off what others had made a good start on.
This totally counts. One more goal to cross off. Ahhhh, joy. :-)
How incredible! That's such great news! Speaking from experience, it will be a difficult adjustment now that you're used to him being home. However, if you made it through unemployment with your emergency fund in tact, you can make it through anything!
What a blessing that he got to have a break with your family for a while. I'm sure great memories were made!
Oh, I'm with DutchMac and think you should totally cross off #50 on your list!!
ok you totally get to cross off get 25 comments in a blog post!
how exciting! God is so good and he always provides, rejoicing with you friend!
oh and on another post i am totally making that fried rice, yum!
That's great news! Congratulations to Mike and all of you! Blessings, Rachael :)
Post a Comment