Has anyone noticed the new sidebar on the right side of my blog? It's a Christmas countdown. Only 45 days, 11 hours and 10 minutes until Christmas, people!!! Are you ready?!?!?
I love Christmas - for SO many reasons. Ah, yes, it's definitely my favorite holiday.
And I want you to get psyched, too, so stay tuned later this week for a new series of posts I'm doing - The 12 Days of Christmas. It will take you right up to Thanksgiving Day and you'll be all excited too, just in time for Black Friday.
Speaking of, does everyone know why Black Friday is called that? I
t's not because it's dark when you wake up and get in line outside of Best Buy or Toys R Us. Apparently, the term "Black Friday" has been only traced back to the 1960s. The term originated in Philadelphia in reference to the heavy traffic on that day - I'm assuming from holiday travel in that busy northeastern region? But recently, merchants and the media have used "Black Friday" to refer to the beginning of the period in which retailers are in the black, meaning that they're turning a profit.
t's not because it's dark when you wake up and get in line outside of Best Buy or Toys R Us. Apparently, the term "Black Friday" has been only traced back to the 1960s. The term originated in Philadelphia in reference to the heavy traffic on that day - I'm assuming from holiday travel in that busy northeastern region? But recently, merchants and the media have used "Black Friday" to refer to the beginning of the period in which retailers are in the black, meaning that they're turning a profit.I wonder if businesses will actually be in the black this year on Black Friday???
I'm curious - do YOU go out shopping on Black Friday? What kind of sales or deals would make it worth it to set your alarm and rise at the crack of dawn to stand in lines for hours upon hours? In Phoenix, it's chilly at 5am, but it's still bearable. In the colder climates, do you camp out in tents or what?













6 comments:
I'm totally NOT in the mood for Christmas for some odd reason. Thank you for the countdown idea...I think that might help cheer me up for the holidays.
This will be the first year I do not participate in Black Friday in 14 years. Sadly, this year, I have to work. Sigh.
I have shopped black Friday, but I have waited until around 10 am or so to participate. Then, I only go to WalMart, but this year we have a Target in town. And, Scott always has to work, so I'll have the kids, so I may have to skip this year. I do have most of my Christmas shopping done, though! Yippeee yay!!!
Okay, here in KC it is FREEZING on that cold Friday morning. I have gone out 3 years for random stuff. I always start at Target and one year it was for a Little People set and another at Toys R Us for electronics. I don't like the early waking, cold, or long lines, but it is fun!
I'm with you. I love Christmas ... I traveled to Germany and Austria over Christmas, I was married in December, I gave birth to my first (and only child) in December. So many good things have happened this time of year that, just sensing this time, brings me excitement.
Last year was the 1st time I've ever done Black Friday, and I loved it. I will do it again. The sales are amazing, especially if you're done by 10am. I'm totally in again. We're totally scaling down Christmas this year so it should be pretty easy. Eeeek, Katie, I'm so excited just sitting here thinking about it. Thanks a lot, I still need to get through Thanksgiving.
Oooh, I can't wait! And no, I don't go shopping on Black Friday - one of these days!
Post a Comment