I like doing homemade, personalized gifts when I can, but sometimes the whole concept of the "time value of money" makes certain things SO not worth it.
For instance, I don't knit. I've heard it's pretty easy and mindless, but still - how many hours does it take to knit a sweater? I can't imagine. But then again, I scrapbook, so I shouldn't be one to discuss the idea of spending tons of time on projects!
As a general rule, we can assume that homemade gifts are less expensive (and often more thoughtful) than store-bought. If money is tight this year, but your gift-giving list is still pretty long, consider making something for your friends and family.
Here are some ideas for homemade Christmas gifts:
- a family photo in a frame
- an online photo book - there are tons of companies out there, but Inkubook is offering a free digital scrapbook to get people to try out their site - you only have to pay shipping! It's not the easiest site out there, but it's FREE, so potentially worth the hassle. (They have a "cookbook" template option and I'm in the process of making a "Family Recipes" cookbook with all the pictures I've taken for recipes for my blog - how fun is that? Now I'm SO glad I've blogged my favorite recipes over the last few months!)
- month-by-month calendars with family pictures printed for each month and important dates typed into the calendar (I usually print these from home, but when time was tight last year, Kinko's did a great job for me)
- write a letter or a list of all the reasons someone means what they mean to you, print it on nice stationary and frame it
- if you sew, you can gift people with a quilt, an apron, tutus for little girls (or try the no sew tutu I made), the possibilities are endless
- if you're a scrapbooker, make a mini scrapbook for someone, filled with pictures and memories
- along those same lines, if you do other paper crafts, make an assortment of greeting cards that are blank inside for the recipient to give to others - 2 of each type: birthday, thank you, get well, Christmas, all occasion, etc.
- there are tons of beautifully layered gift-in-a-jar ideas from cookie mixes to soups to cocoa - click here, here and here for recipes and other details, or google "gift in a jar recipes"
- make a jar of scented bath salts
- there are countless ideas for themed baskets filled with things the recipient enjoys: an assortment of coffee or tea with a mug and accessories, baking goods with a wooden spoon or rolling pin, bath/relaxation kit, a movie theme with a DVD, popcorn and other munchies, get creative and when all else fails, google ideas!
- this blog also has another dozen homemade gift ideas and this site has another 34 homemade gift ideas for all ability levels
I'll link again to the huge list of recipes for cakes, cookies and candy that I posted before. All would make great homemade gifts for extended family, neighbors or as hostess gifts for parties you attend!
What kinds of homemade gifts do you plan to give or have received over the years? I know there are lots more ideas out there...come on...out with 'em!













3 comments:
Great ideas, Katie! Do you mind if I post your entry to The Good Deal Gal?? :)
Thanks! :) I love all of your ideas. I posted here:
http://gooddealgal.blogspot.com/2008/11/homemade-christmas-gifts.html
Seriously? How cute are your kids???!!
Have a blessed weekend.
Most of the gifts I'm giving this year to my extended family are homemade...a pillow for my sister that will look like this and some tassels for other family members. One of which will hopefully look just like this. But with all the money I'm saving on gifts, I'm spending more at Hobby Lobby because I looooooove that place! I can't just go in and get what I need for my projects.
By the way, I know I've told you before, but you have the BEST playlist.
Post a Comment