Monday, December 30, 2013

Neat Freak Rule #121 - Don't Reinvent the Wheel with Storing Christmas Decor

Packing away Christmas decorations used to be so stressful for me. All of my big, bulky decor that was a puzzle to cram into the designated boxes I have that just-barely fit in my garage cabinets. 

Then I got a label maker and started labeling everything. It seemed silly when I was decorating because I didn't care what was in each box…I put out ALL of the items and the boxes ended up being empty! But. When it was time to put everything away, I realized how easy it was for me (and others in my family who can read!) to get the big items in the right box and squeeze everything else all around them.
These labels have saved my sanity more than once. Even if you use masking tape, consider labeling your holiday containers!

(PS - Your house will still look like a disaster when you un-decorate, but at least it might save you a little time.)

post signature

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have organized my Christmas decorations so that I can decorate one or two areas by opening just one tote. For example, I have one garland which goes on the partial bannister near my front door in one tote, together with another lighted garland and a few ornaments which go on my family room mantle. I can make those two places look Christmassy in about 5 minutes!

Similarly, I have another tote that holds (among other things), a small star-shaped dish. I throw in a couple of pine cones and cedar clippings from outside, and voila! instant (but subtle) Christmas.

Aside from labelling the totes, I find that it helps to open only one tote at a time, get out the ornaments, and then put all the smaller boxes back inside the tote.

Cartavermelha said...

This is aweesome

Related Posts with Thumbnails