Tuesday, May 17, 2011

#85 - Teach Ryan to make a full dinner all by himself

It seems that I've taken an unintentional break from my 101 Goals in 1001 Days list.  I have 27 items left to attempt and only 134 days left to complete them.  I need to get moving!

The other night, while I was planning dinner, Ryan asked to help.  I haven't quite figured out a hot meal that he could prepare without my assistance at the stove or with the oven, so I just guided him through the process of what I was making. 

We made your basic spaghetti and meatballs.  Simple and perfect for my almost 7 year old.

We read instructions together, discussed when boiling water is ready, I taught him how and why to add salt and a little olive oil to the water before adding the pasta, it was great. 

(Because I know I'll get asked these questions: adding salt to the boiling water adds flavor to the pasta and olive oil keeps it from getting slimy and keeps the water from boiling over the edges of the pot.  I learned that a few years ago from an Italian friend!  You'd think my Italian grandmother would have clued me in to that one, but NO.)

Ryan was so proud of himself.  SO PROUD, beyond words.  I have the kids help in the kitchen a lot, but something about reading the instructions and stirring the pots pushed him over the edge to bliss.

I might have to do this more often.  Note to self: the more recipes I teach my kids, the less I'll have to cook later...!!!
post signature

1 comment:

Mary said...

Nice! I have been thinking about doing more of this with my own boys. We do plenty of baking together, but actual meal prep is usually more of them watching me and less actual help. I'm going to give it a shot.

I think I'll pick a couple meals they can be more hands on with when I do my meal planning for next week. Thanks for the reminder.

Related Posts with Thumbnails