Last summer, Mike and I volunteered in Ryan's Kindergarten class at church and I was amazed at how quickly those kids learned the monthly scripture memory verse. Even long ones like, "Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another; forgive as the Lord forgave you." {Colossians 3:13} and "Now faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see." {Hebrews 11:1}
I wrote out a few verses on note cards that I wanted Ryan to learn and, sure enough, he memorized them in a matter of days. What's funny is that Kaylin (two years old then) learned them by accident, too, just from hearing me review them with Ryan. Not to mention the fact that I learn along with the kids - and I've never been good at memorizing anything past song lyrics!
Through the school year, the verses were forgotten because I unintentionally refocused my energy on sight word flash cards and school work. But a few weeks ago, I tacked on the scripture memory verses to our daily Bible lesson and my little sponges are reciting the Bible once again.
Here are the passages that they know or are learning:
Do everything without complaining or arguing.
~ Philippians 2:14
The Lord detests lying lips, but He delights in men that are truthful.
~ Proverbs 12:22
Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility, consider others better than yourselves.
~ Philippians 2:3
God has surely listened and heard my voice in prayer.
~ Proverbs 66:19
Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right.
~ Ephesians 6:1
The Lord is my helper, I will not be afraid.
~ Hebrews 13:6
Do to others as you would have them do to you.
~ Luke 6:31
The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective.
~ James 5:16
Love the Lord with all your heart.
~ Psalm 3:5
The verbiege of some of these passages is pretty far above their level, but it gives me a great opportunity to explain concepts like detest, selfish ambition, humility, effective and righteous. And if I see an area that I'd like to focus on with the kids, I look up a teachable scripture verse and add it to our stack of note cards. (you can see the themes above that we've attempted to tackle: lying, selfishness, complaining, arguing, fear, the power of prayer, helpfulness, obedience, etc.)
The other day, Kaylin said something nasty to Ryan and he walked over to me and quietly said, "A gentle answer turns away wrath, but harsh words stir up anger." {Proverbs 15:1} I bit my lip and fought back tears of pride before finally mumbling, "That's right, buddy."
I know everyone has their own teaching style, but what works best for us is for the kids to repeat me as I break down the verse into chunks.
Luke 6:31...Luke 6:31
Do to others...Do to others
as you would have them...as you would have them
do to you...do to you
Luke 6:31...Luke 6:31
Repeat that a few times for a couple of days, then give them the opportunity to say the verse after you quote the address. Sometimes I need to help them with the first word or two, but soon they can say the whole sentence on their own.
Happy memorizing!!!












3 comments:
Memorizing? that's alot of memorizing
I love it when my kids memorize verses!! When Ryan gets nervous he recites Joshua 1:9 to himself to help him get calmer.. "Have I not commanded you to be strong and courageous, do not be afraid or dismayed for the Lord your God is with you always"
I just recently started working on scripture memorization with my 2 1/2 yr old daughter. I am amazed at how quickly she's learning the verses. She's also almost got the entire Lord's Prayer memorized.
Post a Comment