Saturday, December 20, 2008

Light Bulb Moment

You've had them, right? "Light bulb moments." There are certain things people can't tell you to do...you have to want to do it for yourself. You need to want to quit smoking or want to reconcile with a long, lost loved one or want to lose weight.

I had my light bulb moment yesterday.

Remember last month when I thought I was pregnant? Remember how I was 100% sure??? That certainty infested my thinking and allowed lots and lots of food and calories past my lips because I had thoughts of, "What's the point? I'm just going to get fat and pregnant anyway..."

Then surprise! Not pregnant. Oh well, it's the holidays. Again: what's the point??? I'll start fresh after the new year. I'll be good, I promise. But not yet. Bring on the Christmas cookies and neighbor gifts and I'll have just one more because what could it hurt?

But I knew. I felt my pants getting tighter. I saw the scale creeping higher...slowly...one pound at a time. I actually began noticing that full feeling each night after dinner. Not just satisfied. Full. I was eating to the point of being full...nightly. I'm a good cook, but not that good!

Sometimes all it takes is a light bulb moment. Mine was last night. We were eating enchiladas and they were delicious. I seemed to inhale my dinner and added a little more to my plate. Then I snuck a bite or two from Kaylin, who hadn't touched her food. As Mike finished up, he brought his dish to the sink and ran water over it. Odd, considering the fact that I only gave him one enchilada. He can put it away, that man of mine. He's no stranger to seconds.

I asked if he was full and he said, "Yeah, those were pretty filling. I don't need more. I'm good."

(gulp)

I had officially eaten more than my husband. Almost twice as much more than a man who eats a lot. Most people who eat what he eats weigh 300 pounds. Then there are others (like him) who have a crazy metabolism.

Not only did I eat more than a man not on a diet and not watching what he's eating, but I also I had dessert. And, as is now customary, I was full all night. Oh, how I hate that post-Thanksgiving meal feeling of being full.

So there it is: I can't wait until January 1st to cut back. Because at this rate, I'll have gained another 5 pounds by then.

Light bulb.

8 comments:

The DutchMac Tribe said...

I feel your pain, dear friend! Every pound of it. I, too, will be improving my habits after the first of the year. Until then, I shall revel in the joy that I have a partner in Fat City. :-)

Heathahlee said...

I, too, feel your pain! I'm in the same boat! But I'm just not gonna guarrantee my failure by trying to do anything about it for another couple of weeks. My sister's making baklava, for heaven's sake!

Heathahlee said...

And yes, I just realized I misspelled "guarantee"...I always mess something up when I don't preview! : )

Lisa said...

I'm right there with ya, sister! I'm working to lose weight (and really what's the point because we're getting ready to start trying for another baby...), but, nonetheless, I was doing so good until Thanksgiving. Since then I've been inundated with cookies, pie, strudels, and anything with butter! So yummy, so bad...

Susanne said...

I can soooo identify with this!

Off subject, I was wondering if you have thought about joining twitter?

Raquel said...

i think we are all on the same boat and hopefully it doesnt sink anytime soon lol! i will be joining you on the new year!

Julie said...

.... hence the fact that i have decided to train for a race and I am NO runner. Time for serious...time for serious. :)

Niki Jolene said...

I'll be right there with you!

:)

Related Posts with Thumbnails