Wednesday, October 8, 2008

I try to be sensitive!

My sweet friend had a bad day. Specifically with the issue in my last post. But you know how I can't keep things to myself when I'm excited (which can work both FOR and AGAINST me) - and knowing that she reads my blog - I was a little concerned that I'd come across as gloating if she read my story.

I had to call her. She wasn't home, so I asked her husband to tell her not to read my most recent post. He said, "You know she'll turn on the computer and read it immediately." Then I told him what it was about and he said, "Yeah, that may not be good. But you'll have to tell her yourself not to read it." I got a hold of her a few minutes later and this was our conversation...

Me: "Do you trust me?"
She: "Of course."
Me: "You can't read what I just blogged about."
She: "WHY NOT?!?!?"
Me: "Because it will make you sad. Probably mad. Not at me, well...maybe at me, but for sure you'll be upset. Just don't read it."
She: "Okay, what's it about?"
Me: "I'm not telling you."
She: "Did Mike get a huge raise?"
Me: "Yes. $100,000 more than he makes now."
She: "Did you win the lottery? Seriously - what's going on?"
Me: "Stop guessing! I'm not telling you. Just do me this favor...don't read it. It's for your own good."
She: "When can I read it? Will I EVER be able to read this post?"
Me: "You'll find out what's going on eventually, but after our conversation this morning, I don't think it's a good idea for you to read it. Yet."
She: "Did you lose 15 pounds?"
Me: "Yes - that's it! Since I saw you on Saturday, I lost 15 pounds and I now wear a stunning size 6."
She: "Ryan learned how to ride a bike without training wheels, didn't he? Is he writing cursive or something?"
Me: "Oh no, I wish...but he did read us 'Green Eggs and Ham' all by himself tonight. Are you kidding me??? STOP...GUESSING!"
She: "I'll bet Kaylin's pooping on the potty. That's it, isn't it? My daughter has been pooping (she didn't say pooping...) all over the floor all day and yours is going on the potty, right? That's just great."
Me: "I'm NOT telling you...QUIT guessing! Just trust me and don't read it."
She: "Fine. If you really think I'll be upset, I won't read it."

When she got home, I got an Instant Message that read, "So, me not reading your blog. Is that for my benefit or yours?" I said, "YOURS - promise!" And it was finally settled.

I don't want to appear like I'm flaunting. I really don't!!! I've been told (more than once) from friends that they have to take a break from reading my blog so they don't start feeling inadequate. I hate hearing that, but honestly, I'm more fueled by the people who tell me how encouraged and motivated they are by what I write. So I continue to write.

It's so tough appealing to everyone while staying true to the purpose of my blog. I need to express my thoughts. A rooftop to shout my accomplishments, my frustrations, the random highlights, my mommy moments, and this is the perfect outlet for all of that.

But unfortunately, the way we are as women and especially moms, we tend to compare ourselves - our talents and abilities or those of our kids - with others. It's so hard NOT to, I get that. I have several friends with children around my kids' ages and often when I write certain things, I worry about one friend or another feeling down that their kids aren't doing or saying the things I write about. Personally, I try to remember that all kids advance at different rates and usually end up in the same place by 1st grade; physically, verbally, intellectually, all of that.

I mean seriously - Kaylin didn't walk until she was 19 months. NINE. TEEN. MONTHS. OLD. Now you can't tell me that's on the "late side of normal." There's nothing "normal" about an 18 month crawler unless there's something wrong with them physically. My baby was just lazy! And I finally accepted that when she started crawling just after her first birthday.

Please know that it makes me sad to think that some of my readers have insecurities that arise from the topics I post. This is my public apology and plea to ask you to STOP READING a post if it makes you feel sad/overwhelmed/inadequate or badly about yourself in any way. If a topic annoys you enough to make changes (like my recent marriage posts or personal goals or crafty ideas for the kids) go with those feelings and do something about it. Take baby steps and do something to feel a little better about yourself!

Okay, my rant is over. My hope is to encourage you while reading, not deflate your self esteem. Thanks for reading what I have to say...love you all!!! XOXOX

4 comments:

The DutchMac Tribe said...

don't worry, Katie. I never feel inadequate from reading your blog. Mostly because (knowing you for about two decades now --- YIKES! It's been THAT long?!) I know full well you're just as flawed as me. :-)

And, being a fellow blogger, I know all the tricks of the 'honesty but not-total-honesty because there are some things you just can't share with EVERYONE who reads your blog' trick, and also the 'let's just ignore the truly ugly parts of that story and write about the shinier parts' trick as well.

I know you're sometimes writing while your kids are locked in a corner, banging their cups on the bars because their hungry, you sitting there with horrible bed-head, Garlic TrenchMouth, and leg hairs that needed to be shaved a week ago.

But that's the beauty of the internet .... nobody needs to see those things.

I love you, my equally flawed and messed-up girlie! If you were as perfect as your blog looks, I simply wouldn't be able to continue being friends with you. :-)

xoxoxoxoxo

katylinvw said...

i think the fact that this even comes to mind shows that you are being very sensitive! i struggle with this too, and have been so frustrated lately with all the comparing/competition that goes on between people who are supposed to be friends! i really appreciate your blog, and know that i'll use many of your mommy insights in the future when we are blessed with little ones :)

Erin said...

You are sweet :) It's a great reminder. Amelia didn't walk until 17 months and I was starting to freak out until my mom reminded me that I didn't walk until I was 2!! I was too fat and lazy, why walk when I could get carried? Same for Amelia :) Emery is a totally different story and I'm loving figuring out a different kid. I think we'd be bored if they all followed a book and it was already figured out for us. I love your blog. Thanks for writing it, keep it up!

Sarah Mae said...

I always think about this sort of thing when I write posts, but for the most part I just write. My only real concern is that I don't dishonor my parents...that can be a fine line when there are things I'd like to share with my readers (and at some point probably will) but realize it might not be the best thing for now. What you had written didn't seem that bad to me, unless your friend is super immature.

Related Posts with Thumbnails